Handle pulled out of 5 finger manure fork

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by power napper, May 12, 2013.

1. power napper

power napper New Member

Does any one have a proven way to fix a handle that pulled off my five finger manure fork? I know that I should just go buy a new handle or a new fork but this fork has sentimental value, I have leaned on it many times:smile:. I could just drill a hole through the handle and the steel shank and put a rivet or a bolt to hold it but thought maybe there is a better way. Thanks

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Don't drill baby! The effects of water and rust erodes the wood. I would scrape the powdery wood away out of the holw and cut some long thin splits that will take up the space. Five minute epoxy! dab the inside of the hole all the way with the epoxy and wet the filler strips and insert them then wet the fork shank with the epoxy. Slip the splits in and drive the fork shank home. I have done this many times with forks, rakes, hoes, axes etc. Actually there is a 30 minute epoxy kit that gives more working time. Better than new!

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I would try a repair job. Some of the new tools are rubbish. You could end up sighing for your old fork.

4. power napper

power napper New Member

Thanks for the tips. The fork is now repaired with the epoxy, that was good advice, thanks again.