Hang out on this site and learn lots

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Omie, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Ok, so last year I had a laying worker nuc (truly) and learned what that actually looks like, and what to watch out for.

I also read this thread and several other mentions here about how newly mated queens will sometimes lay multiple eggs in the bottom of a cell for their first week or two of laying, til they get the hang of it. But that the eggs would still be at the bottom of each cell, whereas a laying worker attached the eggs to the sides of a cell because their abdomens cannot reach down to the bottom to deposit the eggs.

So... Had a girlfriend call me all upset a couple weeks ago- she had taken some BKing classes, gotten her first new nuc and driven it home...only to find the marked nuc queen dead on the bottom board when she went to install the bees.
    She called the BK teacher/nuc seller, and he gave her a new queen, in a queen cage, to introduce. She drove home again the next day with the new queen and hung it carefully in the nuc. The next day when she peeked in the new queen was dead as a doornail in the cage.
    She called me in a panic, and I suggested there surely must be another undetected young queen accidentally included in the nuc, and she was killing the installed marked queens.

My friend called the teacher again and he came over and looked in the hive. He saw cells with multiple eggs and declared there were laying workers, but no queen. He said he was puzzled by the presence of laying workers in a new nuc and he couldn't figure it out, but that he'd come back in a few days for another look, and maybe then come back yet again with another marked queen. Hmmm... :|

So she calls me again all upset, and tells me about the laying worker problem. She says she suspects she is simply no good as a beekeeper and can't even keep a queen alive, and her teacher can't even help her because she was probably doing everything wrong and wasn't destined to be able to keep bees at all.

Because I was now so incredibly smart from reading this site, I told her the multiple eggs simply confirmed in my mind that there was a young queen already laying in the nuc, that had killed the other two queens. The clues and signs all made perfect sense to me. I told her to cancel the teacher's visit and to leave the hive completely alone for 10 days except for the boardman feeder refills. I said to her that in 10 days she would open the hive and see a beautiful pattern of fresh brood and a lovely young queen.
    She was so upset and so desperate that she did just as I told her and stopped worrying. The nuc was left all alone for 10 days.

Today she called me to say that the teacher had come over again yesterday, they went in the nuc together and Lo and Behold (or rather, "duh!"), there was a beautiful brood pattern and a gorgeous young unmarked queen laying like crazy....just as I had said she would find. No laying workers at all.

Moral of the story:

Read the forums on this site regularly, and impress your friends with your vast intellect! :lol:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Omie, that was incredibly good reading! You have probably gained more wisdom on beekeeping, faster than anyone I know. I am glad you have chosen to share your experiences on the forum and mentor as well. :bow:

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

YOU DA WOMAN! :thumbsup:

Walt

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You got it, Perry. She is about the fastest learning and most thorough new beek I have ever met.

Omie, thank you again for your presence here.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Gosh, my purpose wasn't to get so many nice compliments...but thank you!

I just thought it was so great that I got a chance to put to actual use the new knowledge I got HERE just the other day ! I felt good being sure of what the 'problem' really was and being able to calm my poor friend down and avoid them installing yet a third doomed queen.

Sure makes you wonder about all the 'experts' out there teaching beekeeping courses and selling nucs to beginners- how come the 'expert' didn't know it was merely a new hidden queen in there??...wandering off scratching his head over the imaginary laying workers...?

And I've said it before- goodness knows how many wonderful young queens are needlessly dumped out on the ground or pinched every year when all they really need is a little bit of a chance to mature and prove themselves in another 10 days. Makes me sad to think about.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you are the kind of student who makes a teacher proud. without a doubt you have come a long ways in a short period of time.

and now you are the teacher and this is all good.

hats off to ya'....

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

YOU ARE THE KEEPER OMIE:wink:

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good job on being the mentor!! Makes you feel good don't it.

Most times all that is needed is to read the signs, do a little quite time thinking and the answer is plain.

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Yes, I agree! All the signs were actually pointing plainly to the answer.

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I don't claim to be an expert and I willingly deferr to Omie's vast knowledge (that is said in all sincerity). But, I would have made the same mistake--based on the unpleasant experience of having had hives with laying workers (definitely queenless), where I would find multiple eggs in some cells. :dash1:

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This is huge for me. Many times I will encounter something and I am unsure of how to proceed. Often I will simply just walk a few feet away, take a few breathes and even verbalize (yes, out loud) what it is I am seeing and the possibilities that exist. By process of elimination I often come up with the plan I use.
    Maybe that's why people think I'm different, they see me talking to myself. :lol:

14. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Well done, Omie. Very impressed. .:clapping::bow:

15. Marbees

Marbees Member

That's OK Perry, everybody likes talking to smart people:thumbsup:

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Talking to your self is okay (most everybody does it), it's the answer you give yourself that can get you in trouble.:lol: Jack

17. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Sometimes, depending on the people around you, that's the only way you can have an intelligent conversation! :)

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

omie said:

"I just thought it was so great that I got a chance to put to actual use the new knowledge I got HERE just the other day ! I felt good being sure of what the 'problem' really was and being able to calm my poor friend down and avoid them installing yet a third doomed queen."

and i might add omie, to share your experience here so that others might learn from it. :grin:

about talking to one's self in examination of a bee problem, i do verbalize out loud, but usually at the bees who are not listening, (so i must 'listen'), but more like 'what the bee-jeebers is going on here' and 'what are you girls doing in here' :lol:

or what others might think when they see us doing a dance in the yard (upon discovering successful queening), yelling in sheer joy, 'a queen, a queen, i have a queen!!!! as if we were proclaiming the birth of a child.....:yahoo:

19. Omie

Omie New Member

Or...
    ...what others might think when they see us doing a dance in the yard (upon discovering that a bee has found its way up our pant leg), a' whoopin' and a' hollerin'... :shock:

20. kebee

kebee Active Member

Ha,Ha,Ha, Omie, that is a great one.

kebee