Happy solstice

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I suspect my queens are starting to lay, despite the dearth of fall (which really hasn't been that long, first freeze was so late). I hung pollen sub out in my little pear tree in its feeder a month ago, after first frost. The traffic going in and out of that feeder today was a solid buzz....
    Grandson was ducking so as not to get a bee in his ear when we walked by it.

The bees seem to know when the solstice is, and that is the start of hive buildup here. Putting fondant with sub in it on the hives at my house in the morning, did my outyard today. Then when it is really cold saturday I will probably do my 2nd oav treatment. That precise weekly thing did not happen, with the family stuff going on.

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

our weather here must be driving the bees nuts, it was a spring 50 degrees today, last week it was 20 , next week who knows..lol..all I know is they have been hungry , eating through the fondant pretty fast,I know they have a good amount of honey stores, but with at least 2 months or more of cold and no forage I rather they fill up on the fondant and not run short on stores..

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member