Happy Solstice

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

In Texas this is when the queens start laying in earnest, although they have been taking pollen sub heavily for a week. We also have henbit in bloom.

[​IMG]

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

I checked my 2 hives last week upstate and added some fondant, 1 hive was very active with bees on the fondant and the other hive i could hear the bees buzzing lower in the hive, it was mid 40s out and then dropped back to single digits....

3. Gypsi

I'm going to take my thermal camera out to check my hives tonight, and see where they are clustered. Big hives were trying to rob the little ones a couple of weeks ago, I'm concerned. If I open a little one I have trouble coming.... sooooo

And i am going to have to open to check, maybe put some fondant on tomorrow, our cold weather comes next week. The Flir couldn't see a difference in temperature on the outside of the box. Worth a try

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  4. DBLBee

DBLBee New Member

your thermal camera did not show them?

5. Gypsi

It did not. At all. Of course the outdoor temp was 70, not a lot of difference.

Opening the lids and putting in fondant showed plenty. One of those nucs is stacked 4 nuc boxes high and stuffed with bees. I do mean stuffed, I did a bee rescue in late October after a former hive of mine had been damaged by a yard crew, I treated them with OAV and stacked on top of a double nuc. The other nuc had the stronger queen but only 2 boxes and had been robbed out more. Still bottom box looked fairly good for bees and top had a couple of frames. I closed their front door down some more, everyone got fondant. I did NOT go deeply in the big hives, it was nearly sunset, just made sure all looked good from the top and squished a couple of shb. Closed front doors smaller on the little ones, and gave them their treat. Queens are laying and they are hitting pollen sub fairly hard

DBLBee likes this.
  6. Gypsi

why do I have 4 nucs instead of a 10 frame Lang? Because the hive is still becoming one, and small hives survive winter better in nucs, possibly easier to defend, easier to heat.