Happy to find this place

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DBLBee, Aug 14, 2019.

1. DBLBee

DBLBee New Member

Hello Everyone...My Name is DBLBee...I got back into bee keeping...I played with the bees back in the early 90's and at first was interested in doing my part in saving the Honey bee...I did not know anything and purchased a setup and a package of bees...it seemed every year I had to start over because of one thing or another..mostly because of my lack of knowing how to take care of them....well time passed and last year I started researching which is a lot easier now with the Internet...I have 9 hives now and plan to increase to 15....I have different styles ...some 5 frame boxes..couple of 10 frame boxes...and built a Long hive I hope to set up next spring as I am not sure I can make a split this late in summer....I was hoping to find a nice place to get help when needed, as it is sometimes painfull surfing the youtube for answers...I am not familiar with Voroa mite yet but plan to treat for them non the less....this year I plan to Fog the hives every week from now until end September...I look to meet other Hobbyist's ...I live in Gig Harbor Washington ... DSCN0505.JPG

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome DBLBee. I am in north central Texas, and I use oxalic acid but it's way too hot here to treat for mites. You are welcome to ask questions, if I do not seem to be around (I work a lot), drop me a private message, it will chase me through email.

DBLBee likes this.

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Welcome DBLBee. I drop in on occasion. I'm located in Kansas and a hobbyist beekeeper.

DBLBee likes this.
  4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

welcome aboard..I believe you will need to treat for mites well past september with the oxilic acid vapor, I treat into the winter on warmer days as the mites keep on coming , I lost 3 hives this past winter as I had shoulder surgery and couldnt treat them as much as i wanted, i sent samples to the usda and they confirmed a high mite count...

DBLBee and Gypsi like this.
  5. camero7

camero7 Member

I agree with Bob, I generally give my hives a blast of oxalic vapor around Thanksgiving.

6. Gypsi

I'm a little late treating mine during brood break. I try not to annoy the bees when I will have crew working around here, but I try to treat at least once during late summer dearth, then again around thanksgiving or first week of December. (I can't manage weekly, at all. I am just not available.) Once we get some koi caught and the door seals on my truck I can probably check for brood and treat, maybe end of this week

7. roadkillbobb

do you transport large koi much or at all? I have to transport some almost 2 ft long about 4 to 5 hours upstate next year and im looking for proven methods..

8. Gypsi

what time of year are you thinking and how many. I can do 4 or 5 large koi, not over 2 ft, at a time in the back of my truck in 110 gallon stock tank with zip ties holding plastic hardware cloth on (drill holes in rim of tank), and filled 2/3 full. Hard on the truck, but I would not do this for 4 or 5 hours, if temps are over 80 degrees, which around here is a lot of the year. I would definitely move them at night, fresh dechlorinated water not dirty pond water.

9. roadkillbobb

it would be during cooler weather, and yes fresh water, would you add any of the so called calming chemicals or additives? I moved alot of koi and goldfish up to 6 to 8 inches in plastic bags filled with pure oxygen and they make the trip no problem, I would like to transport the bigger fish the same way in bigger bags...if that is the way others do it successfully..

10. Gypsi

if it's cold the fish are calm. I don't use unnecessary chemicals. But I use a tank, large koi and plastic bags, they will pop the bag

11. roadkillbobb

ok, I always double bag and put in a plastic container..do you put air stones in the koi tanks with an air compressor to keep the water oxygenated?

12. Gypsi

Nope. 40 plus gallons of water, cold or cool weather, kkoi swimming together, the wind on the tank aerated. If I did use anything I'd rig an air pump to a DC converter, with a stone in the tank, or use a battery powered air pump with a stone in the tank.. I'll post a picture on a koi thread when I get home