Hard Cappings

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Aug 12, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Just got through extracting some med. supers, i use an elec. capping knife and every once in a while (over many years) i'll get a frame (usually an outside frame #1 or #10) that i can't cut the cappings with the elec. knife? i usually have to use the scraper on them.I'm sure some of you have run into this, but have never heard anyone say what causes the cappings to set up like concrete and how they deal with it. Jack

2. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

The ones I run across like that are usually the pollen wall frames that are largely pollen, but capped with a little honey over the pollen. They are normally in the 2 or 9 position in a 10 frame super. I just fight them with a cold knife and a cappings scratcher if the cappings planer doesn't do the job.

I have not run across honey-only frames that have really tough cappings, but I am not a high volume producer of honey or honey frames, and the bees may not have decided to surprise me in that way just yet.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

jacobs, your right, those frames with hard cappings are mixed with pollen. It's almost like the cappings are made from dried propolis. Jack

4. Tia

Tia New Member

Only time I run across hard cappings is on the goldenrod honey that I left for the girls to overwinter on.