Hard Times

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 21, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Two weeks ago, the weaned calfs (14 of them) in the barn lot layed the woven wire fence with two strans of barb wire on top, on the ground? Something spooked them.Five days later three of the calfs went through it again,this was happening at night and i couldn't see any tracks of wild animals or dogs.Well we went to a neighbors ninetieth birthday party yesterday at their church. Her son-in-law was telling about three dogs that had one of his new calfs down trying to kill it, (that was this mourning, and he's only 1/2 mile down the road),they seen him coming and took off.So now i know and all the neighbors in the area.When times get hard and people (not all) can't feed there pets they start dumping them in the country.They pack up and start killing things to survive and will attack people if the pack is big enough. It's sad, but now we have to kill them,(the dogs) once they start there's only one cure, and i don't like killing dogs. :( Jack

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Awwww.. hugs for Jack today. Its always sad to have to put down a dog due to previous owner negligence. I am a strong supporter of putting down the people who drop dogs off in the country. What do they think is going to happen? At best dog gets shot. Have seen way to many starve to death and get hit by cars.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Sorry to hear about the strays !

We had a drop dog come in Friday, a small old Beagle female, it's taken up with our Beagle, so I guess one more mouth to feed.

It's old and just wants to be petted, it's not this dogs fault.

Yeah, I guess I've gotten a little tender hearted in my old age.
    Isn't there a poem something about Old dogs and old men ?

Murrell

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

We have adopted a few. Unfortunately they normally have heartworms too and we just end up putting them down anyway. :-(

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

It's not just the abandoned animals. When I was growing up, people let their dogs run. They were gathering into a pack and running down deer in the game refuge. No one could believe that their little Fifi was hunting deer, but the caretaker witnessed it. (And had to hand-raise a little fawn because of it.)

It's sad, but you are right... once they start...

6. rast

rast New Member

We have had our share of drop offs for sure over the years, but we have also gotten some deer dogs that were left in the game preserve. Nowadays, I just call the county and let them come get it (unless it's collared with a phone number).

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Old dogs, little children, and watermelon wine was a great song. A poem, I'm not aware of. Maybe someone else is.As for dropoffs, what has to be done, has to be done. It's cheaper than buying new livestock.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The neighbor said that one of them was a pit bull and it had ahold of the calfs nose holding it while the others attacked it.They knew what they were doing and probably had done it before. I just had a new scope put on my 22 mag. a few weeks ago at Bass Pro, i haven't shot it yet but the fellow who bore sighted it in said it was dead on at a hundred yards. If i see the dogs i'll find out. :thumbsup: Jack

PS. my cows will start calving the next week or two, and a new born calf would be easy prey.

9. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Sorry to here about that Jack.

We aren't even in the country and people dump dogs off here! There were a couple pits the other day that were barking and threatening the boys while they were working in the yard.

We also had a hunting dog that lost it's collar and almost starved to death. We found it in the garage since it had gotten small enough it could fit in the doggy door.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just put 'em out of their misery.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've had a dog from the day i could walk, they are mans best friend if you let them.These dogs are like people(trying to survive the best they can) They are doing this because they are hungry, but once they start they can become a problem and dangerous. Jack

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I hate it when people dump their dogs off too. The shame of it is that so many of them think it is more humane than killing pups at birth or telling junior/sissy that they can't have that cute little puppy they are begging for.

I've seen the damage those packs can do... good thing you have that gun sighted in well Jack.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Getting rid of the strays and the wild pack of dogs is only half of it. You still have to mend the fence and if a calf is tore up or dead, now you have to dispose of the carcass also. I love dogs also but some folks don't realize that others make part or all of their living off of the farm and a loss, no matter how small, does have a big impact. I feel sorry for the dogs, but sometimes you must do what has to be done.

13. Murrell

Murrell New Member

When we had our farm in Dent Co. Mo. the Sheriff caught a famliy dropping off a bunch of pups.

They told the Sheriff that they brought them to the country so they could have a nice outdoor life on a nice big farm.

The people don't think, most farmers have their own dogs, and don't want any more.

Also a coyote can hear a hungry puppy whine from a mile away, no more puppy !

Murrell

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Just got back to the house from fixing fence again.Five hrs of separating cows,calfs and fixing fence because of dogs running wild can get under your skin.How one of the calfs kept from getting killed or injured is beyound me, they hit the fence so hard that it broke four steel post off at the ground going through the woven wire fence. :confused: Going to our bee meeting tonight and when i get back i'll put them in the corral for the night,got a yard light there and i can see if they come back tonight.This will end Saturday, all but four calfs are going the the sale barn.I got my rem.BDL 270 rifle out, don't want take a chance of missing one of them. :thumbsup: Jack