Harvest soon

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by JUDELT, Jun 13, 2012.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Well, I just ordered a natural honey harvester, so maybe I can get some honey by the weekend. Guess I'll put it in the freezer till I can get someone or find out how to harvest it. wish me luck in all these things!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Natural honey harvester"?

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yea...what is that?

4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

5. Omie

Omie New Member

6. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

I was looking for Bee Quick and this is what they carry now. Hope it works!

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry's reply:
    "Natural honey harvester"?

andys post:
    "A bear? :rotfl:"

yep, have plenty of those natural honey harvesters......:lol:
    you will like the bee quick, did you buy a fume board or are using some other method of applying it? i spray it on the fume board, plop the fume board on top and hit the metal with a propane torch to heat it quickly, rather than waiting for the sun to heat it up, or if there is no sun. the bees clear out quickly.
    happy harvesting! :yahoo:

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

I was going to ask if you had to have a fume board to apply it or spray it on.

kebee

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

kebee, i use a fume board, but other beeks use other types of configuration, seems there was thread from not to long on the forum discussing this.

10. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

yes, we are going to use a fume board;homemade. my order was shipped today, so not long!

11. kebee

kebee Active Member

JUDELT, have you tryed the natural honey harvester and did it do a good job, I order a fume board and the honey harvester comes with it, was cheaper that way. Can you spray it on. Looking to get the order with other stuff on backorder, maybe next weekend I can get some honey myself.

kebee

12. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Hi Kebee.yes, we tried the natural honey harvester and it works! you spray it on the fume board and wait 10-20 minutes for all the bees to exit.the hive we used it on was a really big one. they all were at the front door outside and not very pleased. we just had a couple bees still in the super and they left quickly! boy was harvesting fun! I bottled it after we hand extracted it! my husband said next time we find someone with an extractor!

13. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

After getting the honey out of super is it okay to put it in the weaker hive or just back to the hive it came from? imean the frames that need cleaning up.

14. kebee

kebee Active Member

I would split them up, that is what I am going to do with mine when I harvest the honey off, that way give both hives something to do and help along. Oh and thanks for the reply.

kebee

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

judelt, just answering your earlier post, probably a little late, but to your question:
    "After getting the honey out of super is it okay to put it in the weaker hive or just back to the hive it came from? imean the frames that need cleaning up.?"

if you have two hives and one is weaker and one is stronger, i would put the super back on the stronger hive that it came from, to avoid any potential robbing of the weaker hive. if you had an equal amount of supers, say two, then i would give each hive a super to be cleaned up.

HONEY! and extractors are nice to have! how did you 'hand extract' your honey? crush and strain?

16. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Well; we cut the cappings off with a knife,the scraped the honey out. is that crush and strain?