Harvesting 101

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Slowmodem, May 20, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

In the next week or so I should have 30 medium frames ready to extract. I am ordering an extractor tomorrow. However, when I look at accessories, I am kind of overwhelmed at the filters, knives, barrels, drums, planes, heaters, etc. I would appreciate hearing what you use and kind of get a direction for what I need to buy. I figure I can spend as much as I have on this stuff, but I really just need good stuff to get the job done. I may have a few more hives in the future, but I doubt it will get to be a great big operation.

Thanks for your thoughts on this! :)

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Buy the extractor this year. Add to your inventory next year.

Go to Wal-mart and buy a plastic tub. Drive a nail through a board and lay the board across the tub with the nail pointing up. You now have an uncapping tub. Use a long bread knife and a pan of hot water to uncap.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy 2 or 3paint strainer bags. 5 gallon size. You now have strainers.

3. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Ask at the deli at WalMart for a couple of their food quality 5 gallon buckets with lids to help with the straining. I also have several 1 gallon food quality plastic buckets that I use to pour the honey from the 5 gallon buckets into before transferring to the individual jars.

Get some garbage bags big enough to hold the frames for before and after extracting. Make room in the freezer to place them until you are ready to extract or reuse them.

The Home Depot or Lowes in my area never have the 5 gallon paint strainers even though it is a stock item. I've always had to get them at a local paint / hardware store.

These suggestions will help you get by until you see what works best for you. I picked up my extractor this past Saturday and hopefully will be extracting soon. Good luck.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if you look in the various catalogues you may notice that the uncapping bins look a lot like those plastic store it tubs at wall mart with a drain cap (available at any of the major suppliers at one end). then follow Iddee instruction on the pivot point board which really only helps in positioning the frame when you uncap.

other minimum items I would consider are 1) a capping scraper to get to those places a uncapping knife will not 2) a plastic strainer (they make these in three sieve sizes... get the largest one) that fits on top of a 5 gallon pail 3) if funds are available an electric uncapping knife (no so inexpensive but does make the uncapping so much easier).

will this be your first 'home grown' honey?

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I stole a frame a couple of weeks ago as a stop-gap measure to make a little room for the bees until I could get a couple of more mediums and frames. I did the crush and strain with that frame, and got a little over a quart. It sure was good!

http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/2012/05/sour-dilemma-with-sweet-solution.html

This will be my first attempt at extracting and keeping the combs.

I appreciate everyone's ideas and thoughts! :)