Harvesting a little honey?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I have 3 hives that are very strong and have a deep and a medium with lots of honey, pollen and capped brood. Then they have a medium super sitting on top.(one has 2 mediums) there is a good flow on and goldenrd is just starting to bloom. The top supers have about 5 or 6 fully capped honey in each hive with the other 5 starting to be capped.

I was thinking of maybe Taking 2 frames from each hive and replacing them with an empty frames. Think this would be safe to do. It's killing me not to harvest a little but I don't want to do something dumb. I think they could replace 2 frames with the flow going on. It would also give them some room.

Also dying to give this new extractor a spin.

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

taking 2 or 3 from each would not hurt at all and if your worried about them being a little low on food feed 2 to 1

3. Omie

Omie New Member

As long as you were not feeding them while they were making the honey they have now. If you were feeding them while that honey was being made, then you should know that it is a combination of sugar syrup and honey, not pure honey. If you weren't feeding then, the honey is likely real pure honey. :) Never be feeding syrup while the bees are making honey that you plan to eat or sell.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Havn't been feeding these big hives.

Gotta try some.:grin:

5. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

A long time bee keeper here told me to take everything above the brood boxes at the end of august. Then if the hive is a little light feed them sugar syrup. I can't say how much stores bees need in your area, but around here it is around 80 to 100 lbs. which is about 15 deep frames. My hive is taking about 2lbs of sugar/day, and still foraging lots. I figure at that rate they only need a few days to get up to full stores. Obviously I am just a novice, but based on the advice I have gotten, I'd be taking all of the capped frames from the supers.

6. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks, I think I am going to pull 3 medium frames from 3 different hives. Enough to load up the new 9 frame extractor. Then monitor and see if they refill the 3 frames by the time this flow is over. If not I can then feed them enough to refill the 3 frames.

Since this is my first winter with bees, I would like them to have a full medium sitting on top. I can always pull whats is left in the spring. My yard will be like this for winter. 1 nuc in a 10 frame medium (feeding), 2 smaller (although these 2 are coming on strong right now) hives with 1 deep and a full medium. 2 big hives with a deep and 2 mediums, and a huge hive with 1 deep and 3 mediums.

AT least for now thats the way its looking. With this crazy weather anything could happen.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Be careful how much you take- if the weather turns real cold, they will stop taking syrup even if you offer it. They usually don't take syrup when the syrup is colder than 50F or so. Do whatever you are going to do right away, time is ticking towards winter!

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok, did it. Just got 6 frames only from the 2 strongest hives.. They should have plenty left for winter.

Looks pretty tasty. Also couplr shots of my fall garden

2012-09-26_17-12-26_104.jpg 2012-09-26_09-22-10_7.jpg 2012-09-26_09-21-59_684.jpg 2012-09-26_09-21-45_465.jpg

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for the pictures... I have always admired a good garden and good gardeners.

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Ooh, great pix! That honey looks terrific. Boy you folks in Arkansas sure have lots of space!!! =8-0 What's all the green rows of?- way more than anyone could eat- are you selling or preserving whatever it is?

11. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks,

It,s
    Green Beans
    peas (purple hull and Crowder)
    cabbage
    brussell sprouts
    broccoli
    Turnip greens
    Mustard Greens
    Yellow Squish
    Zuc. squash
    potatoes

I also have Blckberries, strawberries, muscadines, peaches, plums and pears.

I have 2 freezers and a pressure canner. I put short term stuff in freezer (1 yr) and then long term stuff I pressure can (up to 5yrs). I make pickles, jellies etc.

It's still way, way more than we can eat or put up,so I give the rest to family, friends and neighbors. I like giving it to people as much as anything.

12. Omie

Omie New Member

That's terrific! I know what you mean.
    This year we got TONS of tomatoes and I wound up really enjoying giving bags of them to people every time we went down to town for breakfast. I must have given away about 25 bags of around 5 gorgeous big tomatoes in EACH bag. Then at the end, we went to a high falutin' cheese shop in the next town over and found they were selling the VERY SAME heirloom tomatoes I raised, same size as mine...for $7/lb. :shock: (gulp!) Uh, looks like maybe I'll be freezing a lot more tomatoes and spaghetti sauce next summer instead of giving most of them away! lol!