Harvesting Question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Sep 30, 2011.

  1. letitbee

    letitbee New Member

    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I have learned so much from this site and really want to thank all the expirienced keeps for their knowledge :wave: . My question is, I want to harvest more honey soon, I harvested 4 frames and put them back in the hive and the bees promptly fixed the damaged comb and refilled them for me but some of the honey is not capped yet. Should I wait until they get around to capping it or should I do a sling test on the uncapped frames? We are having cool weather and I don't see any activity at the door so will the girls who are stuck inside dry the new honey and cap it? I am hoping for Indian summer soon as I don't want to open the hive when it is cold out.
     
  2. Iddee

    Iddee New Member

    Messages:
    8,996
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I would wait until it was 80% or more capped.

    Also, Ill. has some rough winters. I was there from 72 to 82. I would not want to try to winter a hive with less than 60 or more lbs. of honey on the hive. You cannot feed liquid below about 45 degrees.
     

  3. letitbee

    letitbee New Member

    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Thanks Iddee..I was in the two deeps and they have a lot of honey stored for the winter. I will check it again in a few weeks and if needed I will leave a few frames in the super for them but they seem like they are ready for winter.