Has anyone gotten bees or queens from here

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tom, Dec 22, 2010.

1. tom

tom New Member

Hello i am doing soe research on a gentleman named R.Russell he owns russell apiairies he sells all typeof queens and was wondering if anyone ever gotten bees from him and if so how did the bees do iwant order from him but i would like to know some more info about him.

TOM

2. Murrell

Murrell New Member

He is a commercial bee breeder/seller, they sell 10's of thousands of packages of bees wholesale, each year.
    If someone local is selling packages, they may have gotten them from Russell.
    I see he does sell 5-6 breeds of Queens, I wonder how he keeps them seperated ?

It appears he is pushing real hard, on the forum boards, a couple of lines he is trying to develop.

Do a Google search, lot's of info. on his operation, a lot of it concerns his father who just passed away.

Like everything, you see and read on the inter-net forums take info. with a grain of salt.

Murrell

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

the best way to find out is buy a couple put them in your operation and see if they are up to par on the way you keep bees. I have seen people buy queens that have come from well recommended breeders only to find out they didnt fit there style of bee keeping for instance if you are trying to go chemical free I wouldnt buy a queen from a breeder that treats his hives with chemicals.

4. tom

tom New Member

Thanks Riverrat for the info i see he got a queen for $2200 dollars thats way out there for me but i talked with him and he seems to be nice very busy i am going to try a breed of his bees i like the german bee he has the queen is high priced $50.00 dollars but i am interested in crossing them with my Minn Hygenics and his sunkist with my redhair italians.

TOM

5. camero7

camero7 Member

For those of you who are not aware, Russell got hit with tornadoes. He has 6 yards affected. Obviously, some queen orders will be delayed. Please be patient.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey, Murrell where you been? On the queen breeds, ( i, and i think the rat) don't think there are pure bred queens any more. With all the different types of queens brought into the U.S. of A over the years, i believe they are all Mutts, unless a producer has artificialy inseminated his bees from the get, go. So when you buy a queen from someone that claims certain traits from queens raised in his area (open breeding) these traits may not work in your area. This is solely my opinion, and like Murrell said, i would take some of the claims with a grain of salt.

PS. if those german bees are the german black bees i remember, you don't want them. :mrgreen: Jack