Has anyone used this extractor?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by buckethat, May 24, 2012.

1. buckethat

buckethat New Member

I was wondering if anyone has used this extractor http://www.honeyspinner.com/ or know anyone that has. If no one has used it what do you think of it i only have 2 hives and just looking for something better then trying to wait for gravity to do the work. thanks for any comments
    sam

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Looks like it would work but it's kinda pricey, imo, for what you get. You'll definitely need some type of cover or you'll have honey all over the room. Good luck.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

buckethat,
    lol on the ad "pictured frames, bottled honey, girl and drill not included......:lol:
    my thoughts, save your money. (to be really honest, it's junk). don't purchase something just to get you by, how powerful is your drill? i would encourage any new beek to purchase better equipment. it is an investment that in the long run you will be happier with. you can use a 'crush and strain method'. i see you are in minnesota, check out what mann lake in hackensack, has to offer as well as b and b honey farm in houston, mn. i know they have some modest priced 2 framers.

4. buckethat

buckethat New Member

riverbee
    that is kinda what i was thinking i think mann lake has a extractor for like 200 for a two frame plastic one. I do have a plenty powerful enough drill to handle it. I suppose this is my first year anyways i probably wont end up with that much to extract this year anyways so could probably get by with crush method i just didnt want to have the bees rebuild the comb every year.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

personally i have never done crush and strain....but i would buy from mann lake or b and b, i know these beeks well, and if you call them (b & b) and talk to them, ask for ted or tammy, they can give you some great advice to suit your needs. if you are using a knife to cut off the honey and cappings equal to the frame, just crush and strain what you have cut off.....the bees rebuild the comb every year, irregardless of the method you use.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you only have a few hives, crush and strain is fine. Harvesting the wax allows the bees to draw out clean new comb year after year and while this may slow down production it is ultimately healthy for the bees. Wax comb building is something they are designed to do at some point (we only reuse frames for 20 years because it is convenient and efficient for us). Many of the problems that are built up in a hive are found in the wax so replacing it regularily is not a bad thing.
    I would agree with riverbee though, if you want to buy an extractor, do your best to save up and buy quality stuff, preferrably stainless. (Pricey maybe, but American made is :thumbsup:)

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry said:
    "preferrably stainless."

ditto :thumbsup:

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I found mine on craigslist. A like-new Walter T. Kelley 3/6 frame stainless hand cranked for $60.00. I checked craigslist every day for about 3 months before I found it. I saw quite a few for sale, but most were used with new prices. Try to stay away from galvanized and stick with stainless.

9. buckethat

buckethat New Member

Yeah i have been looking on craigs list there is never anything on there for beekeeping supplies. I was looking at the one at mann lake HH-162 combo what do people think about that one. I would only be going up to maybe 6 hives for the foreseeable future unless something drastically changes would this extractor work well for the amount of hives i am looking at.

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I've found that CL is quite literal in the way things are posted. You type in beekeeping, it will not show an ad for bee keeping (2 words). Try typing in honey extractor in the CL search engine.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Mann Lake, $399 delivered. If you are in the area of free shipping it might be OK. Lot of stuff comes with it. Only 26 gauge stainless though.
    If you could come up with another $100 you could get into a Maxant 3100 and have the choice to upgrade (add) power later. 20 gauge stainless and no question about quality.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i like it sam,
    :thumbsup:
    Combo unit includes:

• 6/3 Top Crank Extractor
    • Stand
    • Stainless Steel Double Sieve
    • Cold Knife
    • Uncapping Scratcher
    • 5 Gallon (18.92 l) pail with gate!

• 26 gauge stainless steel
    • Holds 6 shallow frames, 3 medium, or 3 deep
    • 1 1/2" (3.81 cm) honey gate included
    • Includes stand, double sieve, scratcher, cold knife and pail with honey gate
    a vast improvement and choice over the one that didn't come with the frames, bottled honey,the GIRL, or the drill........:rotfl:

whoops! was posting when perry was, the option of the maxant is a nice option, and no extras, so would have to purchase those.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Finally, I beat you to a post riverbee! :lol: :rolling: :yahoo:

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

that's very funny perry, you are faster than i am anyway:lol:
    i lost the post cause the phone rang (my mother) came back POOF it's gone, had to start all over.......hate when that happens:grin:

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

sam,
    it's hard when you are new selecting an extractor, buy the best you can afford, and for the future. if you purchase the unit from mann lake, they have a good reputation. if you find it doesn't suit your needs in a couple years or more, you can always sell it, or keep it as an extra if you just want to harvest an early frame or two versus dragging out and setting up a maxant that spins 18 frames at a time.....
    for myself, i shelled out the $ for the future when i started out, good advice given to me,(not as many choices then).....(i had and have more than 6 hives), and was very happy i did, and i still have that same unit today.

16. buckethat

buckethat New Member

That Maxant one is nice but the extra 100 and need to buy the other stuff might be a bit much for me, plus then i would need to pay for shipping i believe which would run me even more. well i guess we will see what happens and how the bees are building on the honey supers then decide what i will need this year

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

sam,
    good luck to you on your decision making process, post back too with any additional questions, we have all been there, done that!

18. WilliamTell

WilliamTell New Member

response to honeyspinner.com inquiry

Buckethat: I searched the internet and found your post. I joined the forum a little while back and decided this would be a good time to post.

...I appreciate your interest in the Honey Spinner extractor. Especially since I own www.honeyspinner.com and manufacture the items posted for sale there. It doesn't appear that any of the previous posters has used one of our extractors, but I appreciate their insights and opinions.

Of course I'm biased, but I can say from experience that our extractors function very well. They aren't stainless steel, but they don't have the price of stainless steel. I can say that we don't have any gears to wear out. You could make your own extractor from some of the plans out there on the internet, but it would be difficult to beat our price if time, travel, tooling and material costs are calculated.

We recently posted a video illustrating the assembly and operation of one of our simple extractors-- the Honey Spinner MINI. FYI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTeMZHvHwog

Success in your beekeeping!

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey WilliamTell:
    Glad you joined up and commented. :thumbsup: Any time we can have a member that is also a supplier of something bee related it is a bonus! Thanks for the update regarding the youtube video as well, it will answer any questions folks might have.

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi Perry, is the Maxant you are referring to the "3100H?" That one is not too bad at $499...