Hat or Helmet?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Synth, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Synth

Synth New Member

A couple of weeks ago I went to the local bee store in Perth to buy a bee suit. The ones they had were too small for me so I ordered a bigger one. They called today and said it had arrived and did I want a hat or helmet type veil with it. I can have both for another $85.
    So what is the best type of veil to buy?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Do like the (human) ladies do-- try them both on and buy the one where you feel most comfortable. It's like "Six of one, half a dozen of the other".

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Uncertainty with the original post. Do they want you to provide your own hat or helmet for an elasticated veil to fit on ? If they are providing a hat and veil or a helmet and veil, are they the type that fit on your shoulders with elastic under your armpits to secure the veil ?

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I'm taking it that you are getting a "suit" and not long sleeved "over-alls". If the former, then the suit should have zippers to attach the headgear...the head gear will *probably* be a soft hat or either a fencing type of veil. At least that is what I mostly see offered. A zip-on piece of headgear will keep bees out better than a tie-on veil with elastic around a hard helmet. Between a hat or fencing-type headgear, the hat will possibly give you better peripheral vision and be possibly cooler. The fencing-type headgear will be easier to use if your in close quarters doing cut outs and such...I'm sure there are other pros to it but I haven't had occasion to try one myself. Check ear clearance on the sides of the fencing veil to be sure your ears aren't pressing against the sides presenting themselves to the ladies as a sting target! ;) Lot's of folks like the fencing style veils.

Just some thoughts...
    Ed

ETA: I went back and read your original message and you do state either hat or *helmet* style. I have basically used a helmet since I've been working with the bees...I got my wife a hat style and I'm going to try it next time I go out. I think the protection will be better with the hat style. Does the suit that you're getting have zippers for zipping on the headgear or do you have to use a tie-on???

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Both have there advantages and disadvantges. Myself I would choose the helmet. In my opinion on a hot day they provide more ventilation and helps keep you cooler. The hat veil will retain the heat.

6. anika_perry

anika_perry New Member

I have a helmet. It gives me a feeling of more protection than a hat. ;)

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have a jacket that is extremely hot and does not give me the best vision through the veil (plastic mesh), very hard for me to see eggs.

Also have a helmet and veil (wire screen from Kelley's) very cool and also easier to see eggs.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I would go with the helmet, or you could end up like Perry, iddee, or tec. way to many shots to the head.:lol: Jack

9. Synth

Synth New Member

It is a coverall type suit with the veil attached with a zip. When I first went to the shop they only had the fencing type veil. That was fine by me as it meant I didn't have to make a decision; I'm a bit lazy that way. What I think I will do is try both types, and bearing in mind the advice here, make a choice.
    Unfortunately, they are closed all over Easter weekend, so I have to wait another week.

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i have, and use both. just depends on what i am doing, sometimes like the zip hat/veil to the suit for intensive manipulations, and wear the helmet/veil for quick checks, mowing and weed whipping.....and like jack said, depending on how many zings i want to the head.....bees on the inside instead of the outside if it's not tied on well.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as to veils I really like an Alexander veil over anything else... good visibility and easy to get on and off fairly quickly. as to hats I really prefer my Stetson over anything else. if hot I like a straw safari hat but the sweat on my Stetson sure make it look authentic and suggest I don't always wear my safari hat. the hard plastic 'safari hats' (I have two of those) I only use for wet/rainy weather <I myself don't find these very comfortable.

12. Synth

Synth New Member

Went back to the store today. They had two styles that zip onto the suit. One was a wide brim hat with an all round mesh; the other was the fencing helmet wire frame type that is high above the head. I think I preferred the hat type as it did have very good visibility. I bought both.
    I will be back home by next weekend and will be able to try them out in the real world.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

So you did like a human--and took the six and the half dozen.:rolling:

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

synth, a good decision not knowing what you personally care for or do not. for myself, i do not care for the zip on wire frame types that sit above the head, some folks do. it is just a matter of what you find that you personally like, and i might add that this will most likely take time, i think most of us have had or have a variety of head gear in our bee closets.....nice to have a backup in case of a failure on a veil.

15. rast

rast New Member

If you got one with a plastic veil, don't look straight down in your smoker when you are refueling it and puffin on it to see if its lighting.

16. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I have and use both and don't really have a preference of one over the other. The one I use depends entirely on what I'm doing with the bees.