Hate when that Happens!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I went home today at lunch with the intentions of checking on one of my hives that has been struggling, moreless to check stores/feed. Nice and sunny out today about 58 degrees, figured it would be a quick in an out deal no need for smoker....wrong decision! I popped the top, everything looked good til I lifted out the first frame-man did they make a BEE line straight for the veil. No worries, just purchased new zip in veil no way they can get to me; this is an incorrect statement! There is a 1/4" gap where zippers meet and as I leaned over to grab my frame rest I saw her enter into my domain through said gap. :shock:

Needless to say my adam's apple is a little larger today and swelling nicely as I type! I mean a dead center, direct hit....I love beekeeping; who needs tatoo's!

2. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Ouch!! Why is it that they always find the weak spot in our armor?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You're not the first one to be had with that false sense of security a zip on veil gives ya! :lol: That 1/4" seems pretty big at times don't it! :mrgreen:
    Some suits have two pieces of velcro sewn in on either side of that joint and cover that vulernable little area.
    The other thing that comes to mind is to actually remember to zip up the veil. I can't count how many times I have worked my bees and then notice that one of the ladies is inside my veil, and how the he!! did she get in there, when I realize I forgot to zip the darn thing up in the first place! :shock:

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

At that point it's her or me. I always choose me. It may be hard to do, but I grab her if I can and squash her in the veil. Sometimes you can open the veil quickly and grab her, but not often. Shes's going to die anyway. So put her down quickly. Save yourself the pain.

And if you haven't learned yet, let me tell you, ALWAYS TAKE A SMOKER WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO WORK BEEHIVES!!! You wouldn't go up on your roof to fix it w/out a hammer, would you?

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Whats nice is when you forget to tuck in your pants legs, or tape them closed, and a few of the girls run up your leg-----very clear new possibilities for pain.....
    Barry

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Barry writes:
    Whats nice is when you forget to tuck in your pants legs

tecumseh...
    what's nice about that? I have noticed that some hives do seem to have a thing for pants legs... I have tagged these nasty girls as ankle biters.

7. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Rarity that I do not smoke em' and those odds just decreased. Lesson learned! I have squashed a few in the veil too but this bee was on a mission, she lit me up before I could get my hands free for a fair chase.

I did take a look at the jacket, Perry you are correct there is a fold over velcro flap that covers the hole. :oops: At least that will save me some $ on duct tape.

I use ankle gaiters for the ankle biters the kind you use with waders. Another mistake is jeans with a slight hole in the knee.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Ahhh a hard lesson learned. :thumbsup: :D You got to remember bees are much like kids in the summer time. If they are hanging around with friends and nothing to do. Sooner or later they are going to find trouble. Bee's hanging around with nothing to work and occupy their time. They often become a bit more aggressive when someone comes ripping there home apart. :drinks:

9. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Yeah, hard lessons learned are not soon forgotten. I thought getting popped just below the eye hurt til yesterday and man does it itch! :D