hatfields and mcoys on history channel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Jun 9, 2012.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Did anyone else take the time to watch the 3 day series on the history channel about the hatfields and mcoys. Very interesting series. Kevin costner and the rest of the cast did an excellent job.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Watched most of the first 2 episodes, still have to wait till Monday for the third. Really liked it but hard to believe that was the way things were. :shock: Tough old life back then!

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I must say I had no Idea the depth of the feud or the years it lasted

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I watched the series. It was good but I was getting pretty tired of the feud by the time the movie was over, ha! I am pretty sure it is the same model of displayed in inner city neighborhoods with gang violence, back and forth....

5. Charles

Charles New Member

I recorded it on Tivo but haven't had a chance to watch. That's 6 hours in front of the TV :eek: we'll watch 1 each evening later in the week.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That is the way to do it....the commercials were lonnnnnnnng....

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Finally got all 3 episodes watched. Out of curiosity I checked out Hatfields and McCoys in Wikipedia. I was surprised at how close the mini series stayed to the truth.

8. Charles

Charles New Member

Yea, we watch alot of shows not appropriate for our 7 year old so we record and watch at night.

Walking Dead
    Criminal Minds
    Homeland
    Dexter
    Grimm

Just to name a few :) We love that fast forward button!

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

They had a documentary on history about the making of the show. They spent a lot of time on research to insure the story line was as close as possible to the truth

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I haven't caught even a glimpse of the show yet....

having been born in West 'by god' Virginia I was reared around a good number of the Hatfields and the McCoys. some of my earliest real history lesson were in regards to 'the Washington Plantation (to which I have some genetic roots), the Hatfields and the Mccoys and the southern Applachian Coal Field wars. Even prior to the days of the historical Tecumseh the area was painted thick in blood and some folks even thought that entire area of land was cursed and should never be permanently inhabited.

an excellent movie in regards to the southern Applachian Coal Field Wars is a movie called Matewan (a small town in southwester West Virginia). the way the film was made give you a good feel for the area itself.

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I have seen that movie as well. I enjoyed the scene where the young man preaches from the pulpit. In his sermon, he warns the congregation of an impending trap. The "company men" in the pews are unaware of his hidden message. The movie also stars a local Kansas City native, Chris Cooper. He also won an academy award for best supporting actor a couple of years ago.
    There's some more useless trivia for 'ya.:roll: