Have a new cut out. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Just got a call from a business. They have storage containers and have discovered a hive in or under one of their containers. Its supposed to be around 70 for the next few days. Then cool off into the 30's and 40's. I think they need the use of the container. Will know when I get out there today.

If they want them gone now and can't wait. I can get them Saturday when it's supposed to be warm.

My question is how to treat them once I get them home to give them the best chance of making it. I hope they have lots of honey comb built up and I can just put that in the hive with them.

I hope they will let me put the hive in a 10 frame deep and leave the deep sitting there for a day or 2 and let all the bees move into it. I know they will be out flying Saturday with the weather being so warm. I think I will need all the bees I can get. I don't want to use a vacuum and risk killing a bunch of bees and/or the queen.

If not, Sugar syrup? Dry Sugar and pollen?

Thanks for any help and I'll let ya know what I see today.

2. pturley

pturley New Member

At this time of year, get paid for your time and effort to do the removal.
    Ask for a premium as the bees are not likely to make it.

NOTE IMO: Removals are service that not everyone is capable of performing. Add to that, you can never tell how you will respond to a sting, you can't control your immune response.

Even though you are a hobbyist (presumably used to stings), there is still a chance that one sting on their behalf would cost you your tolerance and therefore possibly your hobby (if not more!)...

As for the bees: If you wanted to try to save them and if you have an extracted super laying around, you could try to fill cells of several frames with 2 to 1 syrup (or heavier to prevent dripping), then place the cut-out comb frames beneath these. If the bees can reform the cluster, they just might work their way up into these resources.

My guess is that "brood comb" will be very scarce and you'll be stuck trying to band backfilled combs of honey into the frames. This will likely turn into a mess leaving the bees disorganized and without the needed resources.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If you put them in a 10 frame deep with what brood they have (if any) in the middle and honey cut out and put in frames (if any) put next to where the cluster should be.If you leave the hive next to where you got them, they should all be in the hive that night if you got the queen. Close there old home up where they can't get back in, and i like to spray someting around there old home to kill the pheromons (BEE Go, ect.). If temps. will stay above 55F. i'd feed syrup, but dry sugar would be my choice this time of year.

4. Lburou

Lburou Member

Its going to be a lucky day if you can successfully get the bees out and nurse them until a honey flow. You won't know what you have until you get there and assess the situation. If its under a storage container, you will have to do a lot of digging unless they can elevate it for you (safely). Let us know what you find, it will be intersting to follow. :)

5. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok, Heres the scoop.

This is a mobile home type trailer. The ones they set up out on construction sites. They are prepping it to ship out in the morning.
    We are going to get them this afternoon. I just hope they have capped honey. From what I could see it looks to be rather big.
    All we have to do is cut back the plastic and there they are. It will be easy.

Current temp is 66 with a low tonight of 55.
    69 tomorrow and 68 on sat.

They are not clustered right now they are flying like crazy. Maybe this will work if they have several days to gather themselves.

I think its worth a shot. Will update tonight.

6. pturley

pturley New Member

Good luck! And if possible, take lots of pictures.

Critical item for them to have any chance is that you MUST capture the queen! If you don't have her, you are pretty much SOL.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

With the temps you describe over the next couple of days, it bodes well. If you get the queen, and are able to put them on comb with resources I think you may be OK. :thumbsup:
    They should be able to form a cluster on that comb, whether there is brood or not.

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok, we got em.

The floor was 2x6 so this comb fit perfectly in medium frames. It was about 18 inches wide and the comb was about 3 feet long.
    Not much brood to speak of, but we were able to get 10 medium frames of mostly honey and we got 95% of the bees(a guess)
    it was dark so the really didn't fly much. Don't know about queen yet but I think we got her. They were kinda confined to that box. No where for her to go unless we just brushed her and she missed the box. We'll see.

I am going to feed them starting tomorrow with 2 to 1 syrup inside the hive ( will remove when temp drops Sunday night). I will also put some pollen patty on the tops of the frames. I think I will leave their entrance closed tomorrow so they don't start getting robbed in this warm weather. The other bees will probably smell the honey. They have a screened bottom board so they can get ventilation. No reason to open entrance is there?

20130110_172351.jpeg 20130110_172402.jpeg

They were going to spray them if we didn't try. They could not have them on a job site with workers working around them. So they at least have a chance now. I will baby them for the next 4 weeks or so.

9. Marbees

Marbees Member

Nice comb you got there, hope everything goes well.
    Keep us posted.:thumbsup:

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Nice straight comb fairly easy to install in frames, hope you got the queen. with a bit of stimulent feeding they should expand well.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

With ten frames of mostly honey you shouldn't have to feed much in your area. Good job. Jack

12. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Nice job Yankee 11...That's some awesome looking comb! Why not try the 1-2 bee entrance, and watch the traffic? If the bees start to pile up, open a bit more...if not, leave it be? I have found if the other hives are strong and supplied, robbing isn't much an issue, but everybody has different experiences. I wish you the best with this new colony! I have a cut out myself tomorrow. Wrong time of year, but, the bees will either be killed, or have a chance! I elect for the chance! I know you are doing the same. I hope they turn into a super strong colony for you! Keep us posted!

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You either do or they die. No question your decision was absolutely correct, no matter the eventual outcome. :thumbsup:
    Your ability to act quickly in this case saved them from an ignominious end.

14. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks,

I was questioning the timing until I asked her what the alternative was. When she gave me the answer, there was no more questioning. It's just lucky timing with this weather.

Also. they said they find several each summer. 2 last summer. And they put my name and number up on the wall as Beekeeper.
    Should be good for some more swarms and cutouts.