Have few minutes to help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heinleinfan, May 11, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Hi all. I'm helping my husband with his seed library project and one thing we're working on is a FAQ about the seed library and how to use it. It will be online and also available as a handout at the library itself.

I was wondering if you folks might be able to help, basically...ask me questions! What questions do you have, or what come to mind if you're familiar with a seed library in general?

Here is the website: www.manitouseedlibrary.org. One of the big questions not answered on the site is "how does it work" and that's in process as it's own page. We didn't want that part up until the actual opening day.

You come to the library and the seeds are in the old card catalog. You search through and find seeds you want, you take seeds you want home with you and you 'check them out' by filling out a checkout sheet. You grow the seeds in your garden, and you harvest saved seeds at the end of the season. Then, you "return" the seeds to the library from those you harvest and we ask people to return twice as many seeds as they borrowed.

If you have a few moments, I'd appreciate it so much if you could go check out the site, and post here with questions you have about, well, anything at all about it. I have a list of questions, but I'm also very familiar with the project, I'm sure there are things I can't think of that someone would ask, and I'd like to have as much info as possible for the FAQ.

I may not answer the questions here, heh, but I'll be incorporating them into our FAQ and I'll make sure to post a follow up.

Thank you all so much!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

How many times does a person NOT return seeds before you ban them from getting more?

What is the max amount of a particular seed one can get?

Can a person give a seed the library doesn't have for one it does have and not be required to return any?

3. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Thanks Iddee, great questions and actually a great compromise answer for us there. All the founders had been talking about "what if" someone wanted to give seeds and then take, with no promise to return and how we'd handle that, and how we'd control donations so that we don't have 8,000 beans, and no spinach. I'm going to suggest your question as an answer!