Have SHB!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Jul 24, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Checked my strongest hive today. When removing the outer cover I found 6 or so SHB. I didn't see any in the frames. Thinking the hive is strong enough to keep them in check but will be making the CD type trap tomorrow. The recipe I found uses peanut oil, rice flour and boric acid. Does anyone know why they use rice flour and peanut oil instead of reg. flour and veg. oil? thanks

2. mdunc

mdunc New Member

How is this CD trap made??

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

The texture of rice flour is a little more granular, where as wheat flour has a finer texture. Possibly there would be less caking with the rice flour. I heard a guest speaker, at a bee club educational day, suggest using fresh pear as a lure in the CD case trap. He said they were very attracted to pear.

4. Tia

Tia New Member

The fact that they are only above and not below the inner cover is your reassurance that for the time being, the girls have those buggers in check. Just keep the hive to a size they can patrol and all should be well. Of course, a trap can't hurt, but I am unfamiliar with the CD trap or the formula used in it. I like the freeman trap myself when and if I have to resort to it. But for now, my chickens seem to be doing their job.

5. new2it

new2it New Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Went over today to put on a queen excluder. Saw no hive beetles . Decided to pull the second brood box off and killed 6 or so. I used the CD trap on the bottom screen board. Checked it and no dead ones but did find a live worm inside the trap! I check 4 frames from the bottom and did not see anything. Didn't check more due to the bees were dive bombing me and my son was heading to the truck very quickly. I did add another CD trap above the first brood box. Will check in a couple weeks. State Inspector said to get the ones that fit between the frames and hold oil. Do they work?

7. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I use them. They are fairly inexpensive if you buy them online and they seem to work for me. I inspected my hive in the shade today. First time I'd gone all the way to the bottom in several weeks. There were 47 beetles between the two jails I have in the bottom deep. The only beetles I saw loose in the hive were three on top of the inner cover when I first opened up. They were under some serious harassment! The girls had apparently chased them up there and they didn't have anywhere else to go.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    State Inspector said to get the ones that fit between the frames and hold oil. Do they work?

tecumseh:
    I am not much a fan of such gizmo and crutches but recognize that sometime any and all beekeeper just got to try something. via a customer/mentee/friend who gave me a couple of the traps that go between the frames these were very hard for me to fill with oil and then get properly into the hive. for most 'traps' of this kind (cd cases and signage traps I also include in this evaluation) where or how you place the trap is extremely important. the oil traps for me seem to work best at the very top of the hive with a bit of slick plastic draped from the outside wall of the hive over the trap itself and for the cd cases and signage traps the very back corner at the bottom of the stack seems to be the ideal location.

9. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Crazy8days what kind of queen excluders were you going to use? The reason I ask is that my husband and I had been using these up until today. We were using the wooden bound ones and learned that the beetles were running all around in the crevaces where the wood holds the metal. This year we have had a serious beetle problem and are trying to get it under control. There are several pest management practices we are working on and removing these excluders is one.

Before removing them we had a few things on hand to help contain the trouble. Mainly a small wet/dry vac with soapy water in the bottom to kill them as they are caught. The minute we removed the excluders, beetles literally came pouring out of the cracks. We vacummed up I'd say about 90% of them and left the excluders off.

I like the idea of the excluders but I know it is not always ideal. Before I saw what came out of them today I had no idea there were so many beetles in the hives. Our next plan of action are screened bottom boards with oil traps.

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

CD traps did not work. They just hid under them. Went with beetlejail JR. We'll see how they work. As for the excluder I went with the all metal ones. Have not seen any hiding underneath them. Good luck killing those bastards!