have to get rid of my bee's

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by farmall 140, Jul 5, 2012.

1. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

I found out the hard way last nite after being stung by one of my girls and going into anaphylactic shock and being transported by ambulance to the hospital and being there most of the nite that I am highly allergic to bees. So I need to get rid of my bee's. Anyone in the saint clair county mi. area looking for bee's I have three hives I need to get rid of 2 langstroth and one home made topbar hive. If anyone is interested please pm me and maybe we can work out a deal they are all good hives but they will have to be picked up as after last nite I'm a little nervous about going near them.

2. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

I'm glad you're ok!

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

That's a bummer, glad your okay. You sound like my kind of man with the handle Farmall 140:thumbsup: i have a small collection of old Farmall tractors. Even though you won't be posting much on bees, do keep in touch. Jack

4. pturley

pturley New Member

This is the worst possible nightmare of everyone who is fascinated with beekeeping (myself included).

Very sorry to hear you won't be able to keep them.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Sorry to hear about your allergy, and the soon to be loss of the bees, were I a bit closer I would be interested ( Jacksonville, Florida is not quite close enough ). Though would not be pleasant, were you to invest in a heavier bee suit, wear heavier gloves( yeah I know with summer heat this would almost seem like torture ), you could avoid nearly and possibility of being stung.
    Barry

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I am sorry to hear this. Was it your first time being stung that caused the anaphylactic shock?

(My concern with that question is personal. For many years I was not allergic to poison ivy or poison oak, and now I am.)

I will never be the casual beek that pops open the hive wearing only shorts and a tank top. I wear a suit to open my hive, or anyone else's, and gloves. My first sting was the worst, and I was not allergic, but that developing allergy stuff is quite scary. I'm thinking about the Mann Lake version of the UltraBreeze jacket or suit.

And I am too far away to pick those bees up. I am sorry.

Gypsi

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOW!! Glad to hear you are feeling better and sorry to hear you are getting out of it.

You can still hang out here and post up!

8. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

oh man, glad you're still here to post. I'd hate to find out I was allergic too, I bought two hives off a guy earlier this year that was in the same predicament as you and I could tell it wasn't something he really WANTED to do but pretty much HAD to do. He bought better gear after going to the hospital once and after the second episode decided he can't make himself sting proof. Of course, I got his hives home and find out they're meaner than a den of rattlesnakes and it wasn't any wonder he got stung. I've taken more stings from that one hive than all the others combined and have resigned myself to using full leather gloves at all times.

I looked up Marysville, MI on the map and it's too far for me to go too...

9. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Sorry for your allergic reaction, hope you don't have to face that again. Best of luck to you.

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Sad to hear.

Glad you are ok and that you or someone close to you was able to call 911 for you.

I am one of those dumb bee keepers that work without protection, and had quite a few stings without issue over last few years, but I still keep an Epipen just in case.

Hopefully you find someone close that can still provide you some hive products occasionally.

11. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I had the same thing happen to me this year after being stung in the head except I'm still keeping bees........and epi-pens, benedryl, prednizone, and tagamet.
    I was covered in hives and itchyness from my toes to my nose. The doctor told me next time it will be worse.
    I've been stung twice since that incident with nothing more than a local reaction. I did take the pred immediately after being stung but I think I would have been fine without.
    All the stings were my own stupidity. THe one on the head that sent me to the ER I had on no protection and was adding a honey super on top of 2 other full supers DOH!
    The latest 2 were through the glove and my smoke ran out just as I was inspecting my really mean hive DOH! re-light the smoker idiot!!
    I'm not saying you should press on with beekeeping; I respect your decision.

If you were closer I would love to buy those hives off of you.
    Good luck to you.

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yikes! Glad to hear you are okay...but, bummer. I am sure it won't take long to find someone to take your hives.. I am about 366 miles/6 hours away or I would be there no doubt.

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I've had to take my wife to the ER with anaphylactic shock (not from bees) a couple of times and I know how scary it can be. I'm glad you're ok. Sorry to hear about the bees. I'm sure you're very upset. Our thoughts are with you. :)

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My sympathies. It's a new beek's worse nightmare.

There is a chance, tho. Ask your allergist about immunization shots. It is a series of step up doses of venom as your body builds antibodies and maybe afterward, you can get bees again.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

First of all, I'm glad you're OK. I would hate to have to stop doing something I love so much so most of here will appreciate your decision.

Second, I believe member DonMcJr has Saint Claire County as his address, maybe shoot him a pm.

Good luck and don't be a stranger, you are still valued here! :thumbsup:

16. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

Thanks everyone for the thoughts I'm glad I'll still bee welcome to hang around here. This was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make as far as getting rid of my bees. But last nite after I got stung and I was lying on the ground struggling to breath I actually saw my life flash before my eyes. I just can't risk keeping them. I'm going to put a post in the for sale section for my girls and gear. Again thanks everyone you all make me feel like I'm part of a very unique family.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

first.... this does happen and I am very sorry it has happened to you.

allergies are a very complex thing and I would suggest that some folks have had severe allergic reactions only to have the allergy disappear some years later <the current owner of BWeaver informed me directly that he had severe allergy to bee stings as a child and now half the time he works bees in great numbers without gloves.

I would expect none of this 'history' is likely to calm your anxiety at this point in time and I can well understand and respect your decision. I would hope that after 'your girls' are gone that you might hang around... there are lots of aspects to bee keeping that does not require active engagement with the bees themselves <for example we have one couple in our bee club who are quite accomplished at making mead (as far as I know they don't even want to have a bee hive) and I often suspect what they do is much more fun than what I do with bees.

and lastly I would certainly hate to miss that quite excellent picture of that 1952 Ford Truck.

18. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Hey I'm sorry to hear that...what a bummer and I am glad you are ok!

I have room and was gonna add a hive or 2 next year so let me know what ya want for them...

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"This was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make as far as getting rid of my bees. But last nite after I got stung and I was lying on the ground struggling to breath I actually saw my life flash before my eyes. I just can't risk keeping them."

this would be a very difficult decision, i think for any of us, and i don't know what i would do without the bees, laying on the ground struggling to breathe would absolutely scare the beejeebers out of me. i am very sad for you, and my thoughts are with you. as tecumseh said:

"I would hope that after 'your girls' are gone that you might hang around... there are lots of aspects to bee keeping that does not require active engagement with the bees themselves".

best wishes to you, hang around, and keep us posted :grin:

20. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I just talked to John and I'm buying his two Langstroth Hives and my buddy is buying his Top Bar Hive.

I told him he can come by when it's time to extract and help out and he will always have a supply of Honey!

So I wish it were on better circumstances but it's pretty cool I went from one hive to three in my 1st year!

I don't remember seeing a Pic of the Top Bar Hive he built and he sent me a picture so I thought I would post it...Looks pretty nice!

[​IMG]