Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some pics from my bee day with the Scouts.

My project has been theory and wood ware up until now, this last weekend we had the first day where they could work "their" bees

We had to take the frames out the capture box and put them into the Scout Hive box...
First an intro in my Apiary, show and tell

Head Plant Natural environment Tree Baseball cap Apiary Plant Shorts Wood Beehive Plant Beehive Beekeeper Tree Grass

Wow, this is so cool....
Clothing Glasses Hand Shorts Gesture

Then across to the farm to the Scout hive, all kids veiled so they could be hands-on in the hive

Plant Sky Tree Grass Rural area Beekeeper Beehive Apiary Pollinator Plant Beekeeper Beehive Apiary Plant Pollinator Beekeeper Beehive Apiary Pollinator Natural material Beehive Beekeeper Apiary Pollinator Natural material

Clothing Beekeeper Apiary Beehive Shorts

all these side on pics, makes me KNOW I have to quit beer for awhile

Attachments

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Best of all, you've shown the kids not to be afraid of bees. You even got some parents in on the education Great job! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
you must make some effort into rearing some gentle bees??? <based on the garb worn and how calm everyone appears.

nice job with the kids zulu. thank you for the effort in pursuing this task.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Well done Zulu! While I am not a religious man (in the normal sense), I am a true believer in Karma. Both you and Iddee are to be commended for the time and effort you volunteer towards the promotion of our craft to the next generations who shall inherit it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Great job you are doing there Zulu, The youth will always remember their first time. Thanks for the work you are putting into this.

kebee

·
Registered
983 Posts
Nice pictures, what a great job Zulu:thumbsup: Good for kids, and good for beekeeping. Win -win.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a great sense of satisfaction in showing others that bees are OK.

Note Iddee and Jacobs both are helping me. Rob Jacobs is the President of our local Bee Keeping chapter, and lives close to me. He posts occasionally here.

As for gentle, mostly :lol: Iddee has shown that as long as you are careful they leave you alone, so I have started working them without a veil, but my suit is always close if needed. I ask folks to stand back about 10 feet and I bring a frame of bees to them to show them. We also briefed if a bee hassles them to just calmly walk away

When we worked the hive with the boys I made all the kids put a veil on, thanks to Brushy Mountain Bee farm, we have 6 donated veils and then we shared spares from the Beekeepers. Two boys have their own already.

As for parents, yes , and three have become Beekeepers too, Two are parents of boys in the program, one an Assistant Scout Master.

This has been a super experience from my side too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts