Beekeeping Forums banner

Have you ever heard of this?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Hobie 
#1 ·
Just noticed the other day in the early part of the morning, the girls are collecting nectar from my asparagus plants. I have mostly male plants, but my Mary Washingtons have these little flowers that hang down; they're a pale yellow. The girls are all over them! Never seen it before and am assuming that it's because of the drought conditions and lack of nectar. Of course I did harvest over 5 gallons of marsh honey just the other day. So far, the marsh has plenty of water!

#4 ·
I take your correction---take a look at some of the pictures you can find by "Googling" Asparagus flowers.
Among the images presented you can see some flowers that look like they have nectar just waiting to be collected. :eek:

#5 ·
I'm a brand new asparagus grower, and I noticed yesterday that a couple of my plants had little yellow buds forming. I wasn't sure if they are supposed to flower or not, so this post was a real help for that question.

Now, I just hope the ladies down the street notice them in a few days.

#7 ·
I noticed earlier this year that the bees were in my asparagus collecting pollen... at least assuming that when they have pollen baskets full, that is all they are collecting. Good to know that asparagus is useful for bees, too!

My asparagus went to fern weeks ago. I'n surprised you southerners are seeing this so late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.