Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant be the only one, can I? :roll:

It started because I heard piping one afternoon and wanted to check again later.

But then I got hooked....
In the evenings they boyfriend and I like to sit out by the hives and have ... well yes...happy hour.

The bees occupy a nice part of the property and it's relaxing to watch them tuck in for the night, and squish the odd hive beetle if we see one.

Anyway, the things I hear when i press my ear up against the (back of) hive boxes are fascinating! I have screened bottom boards, so I can also hear them wrestling on the screen, and tonight I heard a really loud buzzing ---maybe there is a carpenter bee in there (which happens once in a while).

Lots of odd crunching and buzzing, and sometimes what sounds like a multibee kerfuffle (for lack of a better word).

Has anyone else done this?
And...if you havent, you should! Its really interesting. :wink:

I have done it during the day but sometimes they run me off (no surprise there)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I confess, I do it, as well. But, what to say to the Sergeant of the Guard Bees when she hovers in front of me and hums, "Hey, big boy, just what the *#%@ do you think your doing?"

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
show me a keep that says he hasnt put his ear up to a hive and I will show you a liar:thumbsup::grin:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Guilty as charged...do it quite often. Ef suggested I give a give a knock on the side when it's dark and listen to them rustle. I have not done this yet but plan on doing it soon. I like Indy's idea of using a scope...might have to do the same...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So happy to hear so many "listeners" chiming in.

hearing virgin queens piping this way is pretty exciting.

Every once in a while I hear a really loud buzzing, like one bee is having a tantrum or something.

I wonder what that is all about.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts