havent messed with bees in 35+ years & remember nothing at all except the stings

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by chaossmurf, Jan 7, 2017.

1. chaossmurf

chaossmurf New Member

im in Beverly hills florida and am looking for a nearby beekeeper thatd be willing to let me watch them with their hives and hopefully even learn from them ---im a fairly good carpenter and am looking to eventully build my own hives bases & boxes --then stick a flow-hive on the top ---because I was hoping to put the hive right onto the wall of my shed ---I guess if anyone wants to send me a private message il hit them with my contact info -cell & email etc

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

well is Zookeeper still on here and still in Florida?

3. chaossmurf

chaossmurf New Member

dunno :) but im having no real luck finding a local beekeeper club around me either ---anyone know of any in florida by chance ?----and ive also wondered if ----I build it will they come :) ??? ------ive debated on just building a hive from onlive specs and see if any queen finds it ---then work from there the hard way :( that will suk but beats doing nothing at all I guess

4. camero7

camero7 Member

You won't have much luck capturing a swarm without some lure. Look online and get a bottle. It will help. This is supposed to be the best. http://www.swarmcommander.com/

5. chaossmurf

chaossmurf New Member

yeah I had thought of the grab a swarm --or remove the from someones house ideas ---but I was meaning more just put a box outside with racks in it & cross my fingers hehehe --but im sure if I ever find a local mentor id be able too buy some bees off him once I get around to building a hive & learning a tad about them -afterall I was like 12 last time I opened a hive up --35 years ago hehehehe

6. paint504

paint504 Member

Buy beekeeping for dummies, buy a hive or two, and learn as you go. You really don't need a bee keeper to teach you the basics. That's what I did and between everyone on here and watching videos on YouTube you will have no problem finding answers to questions. That's my two cents.

7. Gypsi

That is pretty good advice. I never found a local hands on mentor. Riverbee who used to be here mentored from a distance, I posted photos and she commented, and I had a by phone local mentor who knew our local flow but has never seen my beeyard.

8. chaossmurf

chaossmurf New Member

yeah my problem is being on disability --ive currently this month got 63 dollars to last me till end of the month till my next chck hits the bank & I start the whole trying to last till next check hits oreal over again :( im going to stricktly have to build my own ( starter hive ) ---by the way I saved a building hive website t my computer ---but it went poof ---anyone have a really really good link to build with measurements & explanations that are clear ---sadly I cant remember where I found the link b4 ---& have tried for a weekend to find it again :(

9. paint504

paint504 Member

I just started making my own hives using a router/router table. All I did was make a jig for the box joints and use the router to cut the joints. ill find you a good link after u get off work.

10. chaossmurf

chaossmurf New Member

hehehe im ssuming you ment after you (pain504) gets off work --since im disabled for many years :) but thatd be cool --I got all my tools from when I owned a cabinet-shop still so I got saws tables saws routers out the rear-end and several clamps still ---but that one site that had emasurements and exacting details where & why to do everything seems to have been deleted from my saved favorites somehow ------as for why im looking for a mentor -its sorta if I learn from them --maybe I can help them out somehow in trade for a queen and some ladies :) eventually

11. paint504

paint504 Member

https://youtu.be/7Rt_t2Gx_FU

Haha woops! Yeah I meant when I get off work. So up top is a good link on how to make them. Instead of using a table saw I use a router/router table

12. paint504

paint504 Member

13. becsbeehive

becsbeehive New Member

Why don't you try taking a course or a workshop?

14. Gypsi

I think he is looking for a free course or workshop Bec, he is on disability.

15. camero7

camero7 Member

Try to find a local beekeeper and get some old comb from him to bait your hive with if you're going to try to capture a swarm. Also some lemon grass oil.

16. Gypsi

and you can be creative on boxes but they should fit actual frames. Frames are cheap, but a non removable frame hive is illegal in Texas anyway (example: skep)

17. paint504

paint504 Member

18. Gypsi

the ability to inspect for disease is deemed necessary, because of varroa mites and most especially American Foul Brood.

19. paint504

paint504 Member

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

20. camero7

camero7 Member

In most states it's a law. Here in MA they will destroy your hive if they can't remove the frames.