Hay Fever-Like Reaction to Sting?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Walt B, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

While I was mowing, I stopped the lawn tractor briefly to look at a Retama tree. At the time I didn’t know there was a nest of Yellow Jackets in it, but quickly found out…got stung on the ear lobe. I applied ice to it and then went and finished mowing.

Next morning I got up with a swollen and itchy ear (naturally), but was also sneezing and had a runny nose. Since I hadn’t been bothered by allergies since I started taking Zyrtec a year or so ago, I assumed it was a cold.

After a day of popping cold tablets, sneezing and blowing, when I got home I decided to take a couple of Benedryl. It worked! The symptoms were relieved. Now the ear is almost back to normal and so is my nose.

So, I was wondering, has anyone else had, or heard of, a sting reaction that mimicked hay fever?

Walt

2. jonnybee

jonnybee New Member

um i have seen something similiar, when my sister gets stung by wasps, hornets, etc. she swells quite badly and feels sick. she usually goes to the doctor and they diagnose it as an infection.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ears, eyes, nose and throat are very closely related. Just the trauma on the ear could have affected the nose and throat. I once spent the night in the ER with my eyes after using Vicks vatronal in my nose.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am fairly bullet proof to a honeybee's sting.

Yellow Jackets are another thing entirely. more than one makes me swell somewhat but really sick with flue like symptoms. kinda makes my head feel swollen up from the inside out.

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Thanks all.

Now that I think about it, if I get bopped in the nose it usually triggers a sneezing bout. The same response happens if the dental hygienist gets a little careless probing around.

Earlier in the year I got nailed between the eyes by one of the bees and just swelled up. This time it was probably the location and the yellow jacket venom difference.

Walt

6. riverwalker76

riverwalker76 New Member

I don't know about the wasp sting, but Zyrtec doesn't help my allergies when I'm mowing around ragweed. Ragweed is in bloom this time of year all over the US, and there is something about that weed that will drive me to an allergy bout even WITH the Zyrtec. I never had allergy problems growing up, but since I left my 20's I've had problems since.

Also, due to the excessive drought situation across the Midwest ragweed has flourished in many areas this year. We haven't had any substantial rain since Mid-June, and it really showed in the fields and pastures this year. Eighty percent of anything growing abundantly is hot weather weeds. I haven't mown my property in a month, and it still looks like I mowed it yesterday! :D