HBH in fondant?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by wes1945, Nov 16, 2010.

1. wes1945

wes1945 New Member

Has anyone or can I put a couple teaspoons of HBH in fondant recipe consisting of 8 cups sugar, 2 cups water? The can I freeze it with no problems? Thanks

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have never done that myself but I certainly don't see why you couldn't.

HBH is known to encourage robbing so I would make certain my equipment was pretty bee tight before I attempted adding HBH to the recipe and make certain your entrance reducer are in place before placing on the fondant

if you don't mind perhaps post your recipe for fondant here for everyone to review. inverted sugar/fondant in a candy board is about the best means of feeding bees hands down.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I really don't think it would hurt it either, have never made it myself.

Would be interested in your recipe also.

4. wes1945

wes1945 New Member

This is not my recipe and I have not tried it.
    8 cups sugar, 2 cups water, This recipe called for 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar.
    Put all in sauce pan and bring to boil. Cover and boil for 5 miutes. Boil until it reaches 234 degrees. Remove from heat and cool to 200 degrees. Mix with electric mixer until mixture begins to turn white with air bubbles throughout. Pour into molds ( aluminum pie pans) and alllow to cool undisturbed. Store in dry place ( freezer).

I was going to add the HBH after it cooked and mix it in with the mixer. If anyone tries it before I do, let us know.

5. Murrell

Murrell New Member

One thing, you might want to check, It seems that 200 degrees may be too hot to add HBH to the mixture, as it will evaporate . Seems I heard that, tho I hear things these days no one else seems to hear !

Of Course what do I know ?

Murrell

6. wes1945

wes1945 New Member

I think you are right. On one of the other forums, I read the flash point of one of the oils is around 150 degrees, so once it is below about 120 and is still workable, I think it would be the time to add the teaspoon to each quart. I also am concerned about robbing, as mentioned above by Tecumseh, as every yellow jacket, wasp and other sugar loving creature hovers around my hives when I feed syrup with HBH.

7. Murrell

Murrell New Member

You will be feeding Fondant in the winter, to cold for wasp & yellow jackets.

Ops, forgot you are in Texas, I once lived in Tyler, the roach Capital of the World.

Murrell