Headline..."Puppy stung to death by bees"

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Eddy Honey, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Dog (not 'puppy') left loose and unattended in neighborhood while owner goes off to work. Dog tresspasses onto private property and knocks over a beehive, gets stung but owner not around to help it. Eventually owner comes home to find dog still being stung, trying to get inside but locked out. Dog goes into shock at vet's later and dies. The dog could just as easily have been hit by a car. Negligence, property damage, and tresspassing. Note: photo used to accompany story is likely a 'cute puppy' stock photo.

3. mjrice

mjrice New Member

I wonder why a dog would want to knock over a hive in the first place? My retriever-mix dog has stuck his nose up to the hive a couple times just to see what all the noise is, and then quickly left it alone (without getting stung).

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Sounds fishy to me. Probably something not being reported.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Sadly not far fetched. Happened real close to us in a small yard. Bees reacted differently this spring and stung a member's small dog to death. Dog could not get far enough away.

I helped one of our own move the hive when the owner gave it up. they were pretty agro and dealt a few stings out when we moved them.

This was a third year with the hive, so dog was used to the hive as well, but the yard was real small.

Sad , but does happen.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

same thing happened to me a few years back as I was doing a removal on a person's house. they raised those cute little Papillion (sp?) dogs and one bolted out the door which the owner opened for some unknown reason. it didn't get stung much but died none the less.

I pretty much halted doing removals after that event.