Healthy Bee Course

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Walt B, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I thought this may be of some interest. The University of Minnesota has an online course about bee diseases, treatments, preventive maintenance and the like. The cost is $25 and that also gives you access to the site for 4 years. The web site is : http://www.extension.umn.edu/honeybees/components/healthybeesonline.htm

I registered for it and thought the instruction was a little "child like" for my preferences, but quickly got over it and found the presentation easy to understand and got some good information on keeping bees healthy with minimal use of medications. Even found that some of the medications that the books say are necessary probably aren't needed in my climate...but I'll watch closely to make sure they're not mistaken. :beg:

And they do respond to questions. I inquired about minimizing drifting, other than keeping the colonies a couple of miles apart, and got an answer within a day.

It's just one more resource available. Might be helpful for those without mentors...other than the online mentors of this forum :)

Walt

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

This looks really interesting. My boys are asking if we will take them to the beekeeping classes this year and let them try to pass the test to become certified beeks. They were both really young when Baby Beek and I took the test so they weren't able to pass it. The website posted here looks like it might be a good study tool.

3. specialkayme

specialkayme New Member

Is the online course only involving bee health and diseases as well as medications, or is it on beekeeping more generally?

Currently, I don't have many issues with diseases, parasites, and the like (although I could always be better at preventing them). My largest issue is with swarm prevention and control, by far.

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

The course is only about disease identification, prevention, and treatment. This is my first year, so I imagine I'll get to try and manage swarms next year. :(

Walt

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Thanks for the link Walt.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Tec,

I know so little, it's nice to be able to add something once in awhile. Thanks for your response.

Walt

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When it comes to bees, Walt, none of us knows much. They are a universe of their own. We can only hope to combine forces and do enough to keep them alive.

They seem to make it fairly well IN SPITE of our "help".

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

AMEN Iddee.... I always find myself wondering just what in the world keeps those little bugs going. It's humbling to the extreme to know that it ain't me, but in spite of me (and the kids) that those adorable little bugs manage to survive.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK, I won't tell the others about mama beek's opinion of those ferocious little stinging monsters just before that first hive. :mrgreen: :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

tell all you want..... a gal has the right to change her mind don't she ...LOL
    :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: