Heavy Hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Oct 14, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I may lose some hives from disease or freezing to death this winter, but not from starvation. I didn't think the aster was going to bloom before frost, so i bought two barrels of sugar syurp and fed it to the ones that were a little light. Well the aster did bloom (Late) two weeks ago and is everywhere :thumbsup: and the girls are all over it, the hives are 300ft and 500ft from the house and with a south wind or no wind you can smell it. I tried to lift the backs of them and they won't budge. How's the aster flow in your area? Jack

PS We usally have a frost by Oct. 10th but not this year.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

late frost is that good or bad?

we have had an acceptable fall here. some stuff is heavy. what is not shouldn't be too much of an ordeal to feed just a bit.

put up my last 6 buckets of honey early this week... red sticky stuff. ummmmm.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We usually get a frost in the middle of Oct, but not yet. It is cooling off and the leaves are really starting to turn.

Tec a late frost can be good or bad, I am ready for it myself. Good part is it kills all kinds of bugs and the bad part is it starts to make the pasture grass dormant and will not be long till it is time to feed the cows.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Had our first frost Oct. 13, but not a killing frost. I still hate to see it happen.

The asters here are blooming nicely, but there do not seem to be many bees on them. Perhaps it is to cold to fly? My 2 hives both sound like they are full of bees (do not want to break them open this late).

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Some of the older beekeepers in our club say that frost (not a killing frost) makes the aster produce(nectar) better. We had a lite frost last week that didn't kill the aster and the sky is full of bees around the bee yards,it looks like a spring honey flow. I guess the old timers know what there talking about :thumbsup: . Jack

6. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

We have a lot of aster blooming here right now as well. I watched the bees the other day and they are still bringing in all colors of pollen. The beeyard is buzzin'!

Do any of you still put grease patties on your hives?