Hello by Helen

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Helen, May 7, 2010.

1. Helen

Helen New Member

Hi Everyone. My name is Helen and I just got my first bee package Friday, April 30th. I live near Canton, Ohio which is in the northeast area of Ohio. My main goal for raising bees is to help with polination. We have lived in our home since 2001 and have seen the bee population slowly dwindle down to almost nothing. I have tons of clover in my yard and it used to be so thick with bees that I couldn't walk bearfoot. Now, I seldom see a bee. I live on 25 acres and garden and tend my land organically, so the problem is area-wide. As a result of dwindling bees, my fruit (blueberries, raspberries, elderberries, currants and garden) have suffered. I am getting less than a quarter of the blueberries I was getting 5 years ago. I am looking forward to having an on-line community I can go to with all my questions. I have alreadly gotten some good answers on Beekeeping 101. Thanks, Helen

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome... You aren't far from Hobie. She's near Erie. There are some good people here, in spite of me.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Helen and welcome to the forum. Glad you are getting started in bees to help you gardens.

G3

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hi Helen,
    Enjoy the bees, but I'll warn you... it's one of the most highly addictive activities in the world. Next thing you know you'll be looking for extra places to put hives and dreaming of the day that you have a dozen of them. :D

Welcome to the forum!

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Howdy from Texas Helen.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Hi Helen! As iddee mentioned, I'm from Lake City, PA (~15 miles west of Erie) so our conditions may be similar, although you probably have less "lake effect." I'm not as experienced as many on this forum, but I'll gladly share any insights I have relative to the Great Lakes area. I know my raspberry crop doubled when I put in my first hive! Welcome to the forum!

7. XLB

XLB New Member

welcome aboard, as you can see, you'll meet a lot of good friends here. :wave:
    i'll look forward to reading your posts.

8. BuzzMe

BuzzMe New Member

Hello Helen.
    I bid you welcome even though I have only just joined the group myself. In fact, I have yet to receive my first package but I am expecting them any day now. I would also like to thank you for your reply post concerning the misting of packages upon arrival. I believe that it is a sound practice and it generally makes sense to me. I would ask however whether or not you added Honey Bee Healthy to the syrup mixture; purely curious. I have already made up the syrup mixture for both the sprayer and the feeder and chose to add the larger quantity of HBH for the spray (double the feeder dose I believe). I seem to recall however reading something about bees rejecting sugar syrup with a high concentration of HBH. At any rate I followed the label recommendations.

Once again Welcome and "buzz me" anytime. :wave:

9. Monie

Monie New Member

Welcome aboard Helen!!

10. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Howdy Helen!
    I hope your bees work well for you! I can't imagine trying to garden 25 acres organically, I have a hard enough time trying to keep up with our little garden!