Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shaw4777, Jul 24, 2020.

1. shaw4777

shaw4777 New Member

My name is Greg and I’m in Tallahassee FL. I have a first year colony of Italians started from a Nuc that has so far done well. I now have two deep brood boxes one mostly full of brood and the second box with some brood but being used primarily for honey and bee bread stores. Bees seem happy but I have yet to treat for mites. Next time I will do it early but high temps prevent using Formic pro right now. Is it Ok to treat now with Hop Guard 2 and then follow up with formic acid strips when weather cools a bit? Thank you in advance for your advice!

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I am not familiar with Hopguard 2 and can't answer to its safety but any mite treatment is most effective when there is little or no capped brood, and you would never treat with honey supers on. (that you intended to harvest)

3. shaw4777

shaw4777 New Member

Thank you Gypsi!

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

you could always use oxilic acid vapor to treat..anytime of year, just follow instructions if you have brood, and there is debate on using oxilic acid vapor with honey supers on that you will harvest..just read up and do what you feel your comfortable with...

shaw4777 likes this.
  5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I use OA but I do harvest first. I don't get that much honey, not taking any chances with it

roadkillbobb likes this.