Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Greg and I’m in Tallahassee FL. I have a first year colony of Italians started from a Nuc that has so far done well. I now have two deep brood boxes one mostly full of brood and the second box with some brood but being used primarily for honey and bee bread stores. Bees seem happy but I have yet to treat for mites. Next time I will do it early but high temps prevent using Formic pro right now. Is it Ok to treat now with Hop Guard 2 and then follow up with formic acid strips when weather cools a bit? Thank you in advance for your advice!

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
I am not familiar with Hopguard 2 and can't answer to its safety but any mite treatment is most effective when there is little or no capped brood, and you would never treat with honey supers on. (that you intended to harvest)

·
Registered
854 Posts
My name is Greg and I’m in Tallahassee FL. I have a first year colony of Italians started from a Nuc that has so far done well. I now have two deep brood boxes one mostly full of brood and the second box with some brood but being used primarily for honey and bee bread stores. Bees seem happy but I have yet to treat for mites. Next time I will do it early but high temps prevent using Formic pro right now. Is it Ok to treat now with Hop Guard 2 and then follow up with formic acid strips when weather cools a bit? Thank you in advance for your advice!
you could always use oxilic acid vapor to treat..anytime of year, just follow instructions if you have brood, and there is debate on using oxilic acid vapor with honey supers on that you will harvest..just read up and do what you feel your comfortable with...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts