Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Matt here. From Northern California. I have about 5 acres and am into many homesteading activities for me and my family. We started our first hive this year after a lot of research and advice. We have a single langstroth hive that we started with a package of bees and a mated queen (carniolan) back in late March. It’s now mid July and I am starting to get worried that I may have lost my queen. I check the hive once a week and have only ever found her 1 time. Now it seems like expansion is slowing down and I cant find any young larvae. (Although I’ve only had two months of experience looking).

attached are some photos from my most recent inspection. If any one has any thoughts on how healthy the frames look please let me know. Also if anyone sees the queen and would like to point her out that would be helpful too.

thanks everyone! Super excited to be a part of the wonderful world of bees.
Beehive Apiary Pollinator Insect Honeycomb

Beehive Apiary Honeycomb Pollinator Arthropod

Beehive Apiary Pollinator Beekeeper Honeycomb
Wood Natural material Apiary Rectangle Ceiling

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yikes delete the repeats! Por Favor

I see one frame with emerging brood and another of capped brood.
larva and eggs rarely make the internet trip without some really good camera work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Rick bee. I am not internet savvy (or technology for that matter) but I’ll try to delete the extra pictures.
I thought I saw both of those so it is comforting to have a second opinion. Do you think this is enough to say my queen has been alive at least within the last two weeks? I am probably over-worrying but I don’t want my girls to suffer, and it bothers me that I can’t find her at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Eggs,for me are really impossible to find on white or yellow foundations. Black foundation is so much easier although that can be hard also if you don't position the sun over your back and looking straight down into the cells of the foundation for locating that one tiny little egg.

Reactions: Gypsi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m glad it’s not just me. I had the hive open for a solid 20-25 mins (longer than I felt comfortable with) and I couldn’t find a single egg cell. I found some I was questionable with. But not 100%. I guess if I don’t find capped brood by next week I will have to start considering a new queen. Although I’m also suprised to not have found any queen cells emerging. 🤔

·
Administrator
3,726 Posts
For a queen to stop laying when it's really hot and no flow is not unusual, it is called a brood break and is THE perfect time to treat for mites.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's what I was thinking. That's why I stuck in my first strip of Formic Acid on July 15 th and am on my second strip now that will come off on the 4 th. I'll hit them with OAV closer to Fall.

Reactions: Gypsi
1 - 7 of 7 Posts