Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kebee, Feb 5, 2012.

1. kebee

kebee Active Member

Hello everybody, though I would join since I have been one of the visitor on this site for the
    last two months or so. My dad had honey bees when I was a kid and when I was around 11 we had a bad winter in north Ga.and he lost all but one of his 23 hives of bees. Reading, I now think I know why they all died, my dad took to much honey from them, and they straved to death. Anyway he never had any patience so he sold all of them. So here I am 63 years later going to have my first hive of bees this April and hope I have some luck getting a good strong hive of bees. I am getting worry though as warm as it is all of the trees and a heep of flowers will already been bloomed before I get them and they will have a hard time getting started. My back yard is nothing but weeds and I am going to have to mower it Monday for my small dog I can hardly see it anymore out there. I have seen honey bees around here once or twice in the 15 years I have been here, and I don't think there are to many bees around close. I sure have the carpenter bumble bees though, and wasps and yellow jackets. I live in east central Al.,close to fort Benning Ga. I went to the Al.Beekeepers Association yesterday at Auburn University and meet some good people there was able to buy some
    beekeeper stulf also. I will sure have some questions later.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome KB! I was stationed at Fort Benning for a while. I used to go over to the East Alabama Motor Speedway, just outside of Phenix.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcom kebee, make sure the weed you plan to mow is not nectar producing :)

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greetings :hi:
    We're glad you won't be an anonomous "guest" any more. I'm sure you'll enjoy being part of the "crowd".

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

howdy from Texas.

as far as I can tell the keepin' of bees has never been easy... instructing folks on the proper amount of honey to take off (robbing in the bee keeper's world) is an EXTREMELY difficult question to confront and one of the most difficult decisions most set down bee keepers will ever make <imho...just way to many future and totally unknown variable that you need consider to come to some reasonable answer.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello kebee :hi:

First good step was to lurk around here for a couple months :thumbsup:
    If you have to you can always feed a bit if there is nothing blooming but you will be amazed how resourcful the bees are. They can easily fly 2 km. so if there is something there, they will find it. Are you getting an established hive or...?
    One of the recommendations you will have read is to try to have at least 2 hives to start with. It gives you something to compare against and you can use the resources of one hive to assist the other if there are problems.
    And as always, we welcome questions, It keeps things fresh! :mrgreen:

8. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Welcome to the forum!!! Glad you decided start keeping bees. Hopefully, working your bees will bring back some long forgotten memories of you and your father when you were young. You made the right choice to go from lurker to member!! Don't be afraid to ask questions. These guys and gals here are great and have an unlimited wealth of knowledge to share.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome to the forum, hope you have more patience than your dad. :mrgreen: Beekeeping has changed from when your dad had them, but you found the right place to learn. Good luck. :thumbsup: Jack

10. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Welcome KeBee! Great bunch of folks here, do not hesitate to ask questions.

11. jb63

jb63 New Member

Welcome KB.

12. kebee

kebee Active Member

Thanks everyone for welcome me here, I have already gotten some good info here by reading the forums so I
    know that my question in beekeeping can help keep my littlr one in good shape when I finally get them.

Americasbeekeeper, I have been to the old dirt tracks a few times myself, in fact my brother inlaw drove
    a race car there for a few years. I drove it once, with no one else on the track and told him I think I
    will get my adrenaline another way.

Marbees, They probable are but I don't have my bees yet and there are no bees working them so I cut the
    yard yesterday. I don't think there are any bees close by for I have only seen a few in the years I have
    lived here, so my new bees will have a good unexplored area for them.

tecumseh, With the weather beening as warn as it is, and every thing blooming before I can get my bees
    this year I will not be takeing any of their honey that they made, if fact I may have to be feeding
    them a lot to make it to next year.

PerryBee, thanks for the encouragement on the bees, I would have love to had 2 hives but with the startup
    cost I could only go one this year, going to get another one next year though, maybe two, have to see.

Indiana Dave, Thanks.

brooksbeefarm, thanks I do have a lot more patince thank my dad, not saying I am smarter but we will see.

At the al.beekeeping association I attented this pass weeking at Auburn University there were around 500
    who attented and half were newbes starting, so I am not alone.

13. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

14. flannelbee

flannelbee New Member

Hello!

Hi, folks! Haven't had a chance to drop in in a while--it's good to be back! :yahoo:

15. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Welcome to the forum, KB. I'm just starting out and might've sat beside you in one of the break-out sessions in Auburn. There were some good talks and *lots* of beekeepers, eh? :) Best wishes to you and your bees!!!

Ed

16. Marbees

Marbees Member

keebee, when I bought my land didn't see any bees, planted orchard, so I thought, got to have some bees for pollination, started with 3 nucs...
    Didn't know anything about plants or flowers, but I was sure I'll have to do some serious planting of nectar producing plants.... until my mentor came to see my location, and he said, how come you city people always get the best land...
    Weeds that bothered me so much, I was going to destroy, because it was everywhere, just happened to be sweet clover, in the late summer it was fields of golden rod and in the fall, full of asters... :oops: :oops:
    Surrounded by hundreds of maple, baswood and poplar trees.
    Plus I planted ~ 200 black locust trees...
    That's why I said, make sure your weeds are not nectar producing plants/flowers.
    Good luck :thumbsup:

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

By definition, a plant that you want isn't a weed. So maybe you've got no weeds on your property. :D

18. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

And a belated welcome from me. :hi:

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Welcome from South Jersey! :drinks: