Hello from Augusta Co, VA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ShaneVBS, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

Hello all, very cool just found new forum. Im sure some of you know me from other forums as I know know some of you. Nice to see there is another option in the forum world.

Anyways for the ones that dont know me, Im fairly new at bee keeping since about middle of april, but dont let that fool you lol, I have 8 hives now and planning a 50 to 100 hive yard next year. Ive read several books over the past year, and been fairly involved in my local clubs this summer. Not to mention we opened a bee supply store a couple months ago. Valleybeesupply.com. Beekeeping in VA is not very big and I hope to change that with having supplies readly available and education. Shipping cost are getting high, not to mention the issues with shipping damage, customer service and wait times plus everything else. Nice meeting you all.

Regards
    Shane

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

A big welcome from Texas. At last year's ABF convention they seem to have a good showing from a couple of hobby and sideliner type bee keepers from Virginia. It appeared the bee club activity in Virginia was quite robust.

4. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

Ya I basing that on that there was more than 80,000 in 1950 and today around 5000. With population increasing to more than triple, it could improve in VA. I wanted to talk more last night but I was tired lol. Sorry for being so short. I really like this site and its features, well thought out. Seems all the good things in the other forums combined into one.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Shane, the forum is good because the members are good. They make the forum. I think you are a good addition. Thanks for coming.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Howdy Shane :hi: and welcome aboard....it's a great forum to learn from the helpful and friendly folks here.I've started this year as well with my first colony in April,and now I'm up to seven.Three I bought and four I caught,I like the freebees :thumbsup: .

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Shane and welcome to the forum :wave:

Sounds like you jumped right in with both feet, good luck with the bee supply store!

8. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

Yes sir I did, thats how I roll lol. It bothered me noone had a store around us. Out of all the things ive tried for stress relief, beekeeping was the only thing worked for me. Its amazing and turned my life around. Im in debt to this hobby. As I studied, I found out were in desperate need of beekeepers not to mention the benefits for my garden. In junction with my beekeeping we started a garden, our first one. That also has been great, a lot of work as I might have started to big, but I learned a lot and the next one will be 10 times better. Even though we yelded a very good crop. Had great soil I guess. Were still growing pumpkins, and carrots. Just got done canning our beans with my Grandmothers 25 year old pressure canner. Little scary but it worked.

Anyway thanks for the warm welcome