Hello from Cali!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BeesRawk!, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BeesRawk!

BeesRawk! New Member

Hello everyone :wave:

This is my first winter with my bees. I rescued them from a chimney about 30 miles away. They were living in the valley, but now they are up here in the foothills. The big difference is it's colder and we get snow sometimes. I thought that I had them in a great location in my backyard. But I didn't account for the low sun angle during the winter. So my ladies are always in the shade now. I'm slowly moving them over to a sunnier spot. I have 2 supers on them now. I'm looking forward to summer when I can add a third and hopefully harvest my first honey :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello BR and welcome to the forum :wave:

First year with bees and you got them doing a cut out :thumbsup: you are on your way to many hives I would think.

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome BR,
    What a great way to start beekeeping. Good luck :wave:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

great picture...

you up around the Bay area?

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome aboard hope to see you active. By hanging around here asking and answering questions and reading you are giving your bees the best chance for survival a keep can give them

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome to the forum BeesRawk. :hi:
    How cold does your winter get and how long does it stay cold? If you have cold spells during which the bees don't go out for several weeks straight, you might be able to carry out the move in one step, rather than in small stages. When they "wake up" after a long sleep they should take re-orientation flights before they get confused over their new site..

7. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome! They have taken to you well if they are filling two or three supers.

8. BeesRawk!

BeesRawk! New Member

Thank you for all the Hellos!

Everytime I visit here I learn something new. I'm real glad that I found out about moisture in the hive before I caused harm to my ladies. I was still feeding them :oops:

So many questions....

@G3farms: what is a cut out? ( OK, so I answered a question with a question :) )

@tecumseh: I live about 30 miles East of Sacramento at around 1,500ft.

@efmesch: Winters are mild compaired to other locations. I get snow a few times, but it's measured in inches-not feet. Nights at the coldest are in the high 20's. High winds and rain for days is our normal winter. This week will have freezing night temps. I'm already moving the hive, just a few feet at a time (11ft). They seems to be able to find the hive after a brief flyby to the old spot.

@Americasbeekeeper: I have 2 supers since bringing them here in May. I waited until the super was 80% full before adding the 2nd.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I live about 30 miles East of Sacramento at around 1,500ft.

tecumseh:
    over around Sutter's Fort? So is the mountain range I see in the background of your picture the Sierra Nevada Range?

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

What is a cut out????

Well that is where you get bees and comb out of a structure (wall, chimney, attic, tree, etc.) by cutting the comb into a size that will fit into a frame and can be tied into place. The frames of comb and bees are then transferred into a hive.

Just curious, how did you get the bees out of the chimney??? I just figured by way of a cut out. Check out the pics and some video in the "swarm, cut out and trap out" section section of the forum. A picture is worth a thousand words.

11. BeesRawk!

BeesRawk! New Member

Hello again,

@tecumseh; Sutter's Fort is located in downtown Sacramento. I live up in the foothills closer to where Sutter's mill is (Coloma) and that's where gold was discovered. I think you are seeing cloud cover in that picture, no mountains to be seen.

@G3farms; Thank you :) Well, it was a cut out, but it was a VERY difficult cut out. I had limited area to work in. Both because I was working off a ladder and only from that one corner of the chimney. The other problem was the limited space inside the chimney with two rebars in the middle of the hive. I thought that I would be able to cut the combs and transfer it into the super. But when I tried to cut, the comb would fall apart in small pieces. The wax appeared weak and very thin. I had to keep opening more of the chimney, but I was running into the problem of the chimney becoming more unstable and near collapsing. The other problem I had was that it took several trys to capture the queen, she was an elusive one. I would brush the bees, wait, only to see the bees back in the chimney :cry: She was hiding in a void in the chimney.

Attached Files:

12. BeesRawk!

BeesRawk! New Member

So here's how much of the chimney I had to take apart to finally capture the queen

Attached Files:

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for adding the picture.

that looks like it was quite the task.

once excited queens do seem to know where to go so you can't get at 'em.

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Wow :shock: My hats off to you :hi: That could not have been easy!
    Thanks for the pics, they're worth a 1,000 words. :thumbsup: