Hello from central ca.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by darbam, Jun 26, 2016.

1. darbam

darbam New Member

I am retired and have fuji persimmion trees. I have been fascinated with bees for years. This past 3 years I have had a commercial beekeeper on my property from the finish of almond bloom til summer when he takes them to the Dakotas. I am planting out the rest of my property this coming winter and will not have the room for his bees. I want to get started with a few hives. I have done some research and am in the process of getting gear together. He has offered some hives in a trade deal for an old 8n tractor. I am not sure if I need or want
    ​ to go that route or buys nucs with new boxes. Anyway I will scroll thru the forum and see what all have to say.

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Welcome! :hi:

I would have to keep the 8N. We can always help you make more bees.

If you are within driving distance of Woodland, CA (just north of Sacramento) I would advise you take a day trip to Mann Lakes. If it is anything like their East Coast location, you will find a real hands on show room with very helpful and ethical folks. The equipment is quite serviceable at good pricing with frequent sales. Their live bee supplier is Olivarez Honey Bees. I bought nucs from them a few years ago and was very pleased.

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome to the forum derbam, I think I would have keep the tractor myself, butgood luck in the beekeeping always glad to here of new ones starting.

​Ken

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Even I would keep the tractor, bring a better price than a couple of boxes of bees. Welcome to the forum