Hello from Central Indiana!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by blueblood, Mar 16, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Good Morning, thought it was about time I introduce myself. My name is Dave and I am 40. I am brand new at this venture and wanted to find a group of keepers to chat with as I learn. This was the first site that popped up so I clicked on it hoping this was the "bee's knees" of forums...

I have a local friend who is mentoring me with this new hobby. I have some woodworking skills so I decided to build my own hives. Built both Langstroth style with two deep and two medium honey supers each. I built two extra medium honey supers just in case I need them. It was a joy building them even though it took a few days total. I am sure I will be more proud knowing I built them.

My bees are on order and I am buying all the supplies including frames and foundations today. I figured on buying most of my supplies from Walter T. Kelley. Do any of you think there is a better or more affordable site for supplies?

I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

Dave

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :) Lots of good info and great people here.

I haven't been in this very long, but I've found that one place might have a good price on one item, and another place has a good price on another item. You just have to shop and compare. Plus look at the price after the shipping is added.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome. Walter T. Kelley is a great supplier, along with numerous others. The final decision will likely be the freight bill.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome Dave:

You're having a run of good luck, with this forum being the first to pop up! :wink:
    It also happens to be the friendliest one around, we tend to incorporate fun with beekeeping here. Teasing is allowed (especially the "old" guys). Attitudes are left at the door when entering this room, we all learn and contribute when we can. Enjoy your stay! :thumbsup:

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Welcome Dave! Great group of folks here with a wealth of knowledge. Take advantage of that mentor! :thumbsup:

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome blueblood, I am a newbe here myself and have learned a lot since I have been here, you are lucky to have a mentor around, I am having to go alone with the help of the forum.

Kebee

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Dave and welcome to the forum :hi:

Great bunch of members here and no need to be shy about asking questions either, sometimes everybody learns something!!

Kelley's is a good choice and has good products to offer. as already said most of the time it boils down to shipping cost.

A mentor is a great asset in your corner, tag along after him often, hands on at its best!

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. You all were right about Kelley's shipping. I haven't pushed the "go" button to pay yet because I could hardly believe my eyes. I will probably go for it tonight. My shopping cart included enough foundations and frames for 4 deep, 6 medium, hive tool, smoker, cowhide gloves, entrance reducer, bee brush, 10 L shaped rest, 2 plastic queen excluders (not sure i'm going to use) and cotton coveralls w/hat/veil combo (out of stock :cry:). It was around $500 and the shipping was $69 for ups and $45 for usps...As for a mentor, it has been to my advantage because he is close and I have been able to watch him in action. Plus, he is part of a group four others in the area that get together at harvest times and have a "honey party" for extracting (one of them has an extractor and filter thank goodness) and compare each other honey, color and taste. I have been invited to join them which I think is an incredible perk being brand new.

9. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. This is the best beekeeping forum on the net! Stick around and you will learn a lot. Learn to use the search tool and look up info from old posts. I am originally from central Indiana also, between Fishers and Fortville. I live in Parke County now. Glad you decided to join. Don't be afraid to ask questions. A lot of experience here with these folks, and they aren't afraid to share it.
    As for equipment, Walter Kelley is a great choice. I buy my frames and foundation from them. Started building my own woodenware (except frames) this year. Saves a ton of money. Kelley's offers free shipping in November each year, although it doesn't help you any this year. They also attend the annual Indiana Bee School in Indy as a vendor each February, which still doesn't help you this year either. They will deliver your order to the bee school for $2. This year they had to drive 2 trucks because of so many orders.
    There are several sources of overwintered Indiana bees throughout the state. I have had luck with several. Good luck, sounds like you have a great group helping you out.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A couple suggestions. Trade the full coveralls for a jacket with hood and veil, a size too large.
    Wear blue jeans and boots.
    Cancel the excluders and bee brush. Get a 99 cent paint brush.
    Switch cowhide gloves for goatskin gloves, a size or two too large.

11. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

:thumbsup:...what Iddee said!

12. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Iddee said...

Dadant is also fairly close and Mann Lake (Minnesota) has free shipping for orders over $200. all three have similar quality in product. as far as my experience customer service of all three is excellent.

14. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome blueblood, you've already received more advice that I could give :)

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for the info Dave. I know exactly where Fortville and Fishers are. I grew up in the Evansville area but have lived up here for 20 years..

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Iddee, I waited to buy until today after reading your reply. I was thinking the cotton overalls can't be any better than blue jeans except I would need to shore up where the jacket and the jeans meat. Paint brush makes since. The goatskin and cowhide didn't seem to be much difference in price. Goatskin are softer I think. At least, the batting gloves I remeber were softer as a kid. I read some posts around here and the net that mentioned using nitrile gloves also.

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

And Perry...I caught the "old" guys comment...I sure hope this is the better side of 40...I fretted and fretted over turning 4-0...

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No need to "shore up" the jacket, they have elastic at the bottom of them, they work great. I have one from Dadant and like it very much it is just HOT in the summer and harder for me to see eggs through the plastic mesh veil. Easy on/off and quick to pull the hood on/off. Bees can sting right through a bee suit and even the leather gloves when they get really riled up, if they are that mad and your veil gets up against your face you can even get one through it. When bees get that hot it is best to just give them some room and try to figure out what is making them so mad (weather, queenless, season, just hot bees, etc., etc.).

19. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Also, you could check for local, small suppliers. Maybe ask around at ur local beekeeping meeting. I was in the same boat as you last year but after some checking around and attending a few of the spring new beekeeper meetings I found out that there were two suppliers near me. One within 10 minutes of me. No shipping fees and cheaper prices than the catalogs.

James

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

James now that you say that I always forget about the Farmers Co-Op, not all but some of them do carry bee supplies.