Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the forum a few weeks ago, but kept forgetting to post here!

I'm a 4th year beekeeper in Colorado Springs. The way we started into beekeeping was basically this:

him: hey, let's brew mead
me: sure, sounds awesome
*go out to buy honey*
us: zomg, honey is so expensive!
him: I know, let's keep bees, then we'll have free honey
me: what...that's crazy, you can't just 'keep bees'
*go to a local bee school after a bit of researching*
us: YAY BEES!

My husband and I have had a rocky 4 years, including bear attacks, a disappearing hive, a not-so-productive new package and one very angry postman. But, we're still chugging along! At this point in my life, I will never *not* be a beekeeper again if I can at all help it, I just love it entirely too much to ever give it up.

I'm a housewife who keeps busy with the bees, coordinating a community garden, sewing, bread baking, blogging, rug-making as well as a bit of computer gaming and lots of sci-fi and fantasy reading.
My husband works for the City of Fountain and specializes in GIS...which basically means he makes maps for a living. In his spare time he's creating a local seed library, runs a small public city garden, does bird banding and photography.

We try, together, each day to do a little bit to help our planet and share our love of sustainable and natural living, as well as beekeeping, with others.

See you in the forums!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome heinleinfan, enjoy Forums:hi:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Welcome heinleinfan, enjoy your stay here, sound as though you are my kind of people we love to have around.

kebee

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Welcome, and ditto the above. Is Heinlein a family name? i have relatives by that name down around Ava, Mo. Moms family were all a bunch of krauts.:grin: Jack

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack - Robert Heinlein is actually the name of a science fiction author, of which I am a longtime fan. I've had the heinleinfan tag on emails, forums, in games and everywhere online for many, many years.

Oddly enough, though, he *was* from Missouri. Perhaps there's some distant relation there.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Thanks for the info Heinleinfan,the Heinlein family would be 3rd and fourth cousins of mine. At one time i had 38 first cousins, some of them have passed away, but they all have (and had) children.All the old folks are gone now and we don't get together like we use to,sad,very sad, people are to busy anymore. Jack

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jack - I can understand the feeling of sadness. I'm actually rather estranged from my blood family, we just don't get along. But I have a pretty large "chosen family" and thank goodness for the internet, because that is a way I can stay in touch with them and be a part of their lives still, even though many of them are across the country from me.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
welcome aboard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts