Hello from Davie, Florida (aka Bees In Miami)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bees In Miami, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

I have seen some of you on 'another' forum...obviously some forum 'politics' I need not know about, but I enjoy both.

My name is Michelle, and I am a professional Chef by trade. I took up beekeping by accident, due to a ferale hive we had under a workshop in our yard. We had a beek come out for the first hive, which he removed, and much to my disappointment, took the bees with him. (I begged him to allow me to 'lease' a hive, or whatever, but he was an old timer, and just wanted the bees) So the first cut out was done, and the bees were gone. That was a couple years ago. And as most of you would already guess, the bees returned the following spring! I was thrilled!! I let them do their thing all season, as they had set up under a portion of shed that was not really impacting us. My husband knew, NOT to impact the bees, much to his shagrin! Well...then my lucky day, when I got an alarmed call from the husband in the side yard when he found a cluster of bees in the Mango tree. My first swarm!!! YEAH!! I called a local beek for some help, that sold me a hive body and frames, and my first hive was born. I knew there was more to come, so I ordered hives and frames and such, and got building. We had 3 swarms this year, and I did a cut out of the hive under the shed, which was queenless, and I did a newspaper combine, so 3 stong hives going at the moment. I absolutely love my girls, as do my neighbors, who all had bumper crops of all we have growing...Mangoes, Coconuts, bananas, avacados, papaya, lemons, etc, etc! We are in a pretty rural area, so the neighbors have been VERY receptive of the "girls" addition to the 'hood'. (The girls fit right in with the Rooster crowing, the goat bayying, and the horses Neighing...) Looking forward to growing the bee population, and thus far, other than battles with SHB and a Wax Moth issue...all is going great!

Thanks for such a welcoming and informative forum! You are all most helpful! I jumped into the Beek pool without checking for water...but there is starting to be some water in the pool! I know I still have MUCH to learn, but have also learned a ton! Thanks to all for your help, videos, etc...they are MOST helpful!!!

Bee well everyone! Thanks again. :wink:

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome to a great forum! The info is great and the people are even better. It sounds like you've got a lot of on-the-job training and experience! You're learning tons. Good luck and much honey!

PS: Allez cuisine!

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Welcome to a great place of learning. At the rate your expanding your bees, you will be like Zookeep making all us northerners jealous still hiving swarms when we are looking at snow on our hives Good luck with the bees. Michell do you use a honey much in your cooking? Professionally and at home.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum :hi:

I lived in Coconut Grove for a short time.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome to our friendly part of the beekeeping community! We talk "bees" and have fun here, all at the same time! :wink: :mrgreen:

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Bees In Miami, you found a great place that people loves bees and can learn a lot here.

Kebee

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! It is a fun forum, you are in the right place.

Gypsi

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

[​IMG] !

greetings michelle! happy trails and happy bees to you!

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Right on! Welcome Michelle! It is an addictive venture for sure. This forum can always benefit from a good Chef too! Maybe if we are super nice we could glean some additional culinary tips on using honey in our dishes....:razz:

10. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

11. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome Michelle. You've found the friendliest place on the net to learn about bees and beekeeping. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and join us in the chat when you get a chance.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome Michelle,i haven't figured out who benefits the most. The new beekeeper or the bees??? Jack

13. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Thanks everyone for the welcomes! All very much appreciated!!! I would type a little something to each of you, but I am fighting with a broken E key..... Grrrrrrrr. Looking forward to being part of this most helpful and friendly forum. And as a couple of you asked, of course I am more than willing to share culinary tips! (I sure can't contribute much help regarding bees yet, so I can earn my keep other ways...:grin:) Bee well, and thanks again!

14. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Welcome - A wealth of bee knowledge and talented people, too.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome. like several other here my path has also passed thru Florida.