Hello from Germany via Florida - Searching for starter information

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CKR, Jan 2, 2017.

1. CKR

CKR New Member

Hello to all and thank you for adding me,

my father, currently living in Bavaria, Germany, was really interested in and learning all about starting to become and beekeeper. Because of certain issues he never got it started properly. For his 70th birthday, my sister and I would like to give him a starter pack for beekeeping - beehive, outfit, etc.
    Basically I'm searching for the most basic information; what's the best bee house to start with, any suggestions on which beekeepers outfit to go with, any extras needed, anything basically to give us an idea how to proceed. My father already has a lot of info gathered and is quite knowledgeable. I'm the one that needs a hand with what would be best for him to get started and what we could get him.
    Thank you very much for your help!
    Best regards
    CKR

2. paint504

paint504 Member

Where in Florida are you located?

3. camero7

camero7 Member

I would look at German suppliers and give him a hive that is used in Germany. He will get more assistance from local beekeepers if you do that.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

And there will be much less shipping involved.

5. lobo

lobo New Member

in Germany exists a big variety of hive sizes. It will be a big advantage to have the same size as the beekeeper collegues around, e.g. to share/get splits. The best would be if your father would ask for the commen size in his region. The local beekeeper club would be of assistence.
    Most of the bigger online beekeeper shops (like Holtermann) in Germany offer starter kits (clothes smoker etc.)

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Lobo - this is information I would not have known.