hello from greece

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by samo's beekeeping, Aug 23, 2010.

1. samo's beekeeping

samo's beekeeping New Member

i am a beekeeper from samo's inland in greece. i am beekeeping for12 years and i woyld like to share knowledge and experiances with others in this family. please forgive any mistakes. :beg:
    may the force bee with u!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Howdy samo's beekeeping and welcome aboard. so where is samo's island in relation to Greeece itself.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Is it near Mikonos Island? I met someone from Mikonos and he gave me some honey from there. I'm not sure of the floral source.

What are your major honey producing plants?

On the label it says GREEK HONEY and then KHOHNAE, but actually in an alphabet that I can't recreate here. I assume that KHOHNAE means honey or honeybee?

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello samo's and welcome to the forum, nice to hear how beekeeping is different around the world.

5. samo's beekeeping

hello to everyone. dear tecumseh, samos is an island in aegean sea, very close to turkey. is a very green island but we have problem with fires in forests. the honey we produce here is from pinetrees, thyme and a lot of herbs.
    dear sqkcrk every day i learn and something new. now i am looking for chemical smoke.
    hello G3farms, i am glad to be in your team. thank you all.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

chemical smoke? What do you mean?

For smoker fuel, I usually use bailer twine, which I don't know if you can get or not. It is used twine from bales of hay from dairy farms. There are many different smoke making materials. With your pine trees, do you use the dry pine needles for smoker fuel? I do when I am in South Carolina, a state 1,000 miles south of me where my bees go for the winter.

Lately beekeepers have been using wood pellets, compressed wood that is usually used by people who want to heat their homes.

What is the flavor and color of your different honeys? Dark or light? Mild flavored or strong? Robust? How would you describe thyme honey or pinetree honey?

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome to the forum. :drinks:

I've been looking at the photos of Samos on Google Earth and Samos is absolutely lovely!

Walt

8. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
    I"m glad you have been learning here, and I can't wait to hear about what beekeeping is like on Samo's Island!

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Welcome :wave: You certainly live in a beautiful place! Looking forward to reading more of your posts

10. samo's beekeeping

i am doing the same with you my friend. i use dry pine needles.but with all fires here we can't visit the forests when the wether condition is red(very dangerous). so i am looking for something else.
    the thyme honey when is row has a dark yellow color and the pinetree honey a dark brown color. when the honey is in bucket looks like black and has strong taste and flavor. the thyme honey start makes crystals after 4-6 months and the pinetree honey after 1 1/2- 2 years,starting from the bottom.

11. samo's beekeeping

thank you my friend. soon you 'll see fotos. :drinks:

12. samo's beekeeping

it was a beautiful place!!! :beg:
    now the 70% of the forests have been burned. but samos has microklima and a lot of waters, so the nature soon will repair the damage. thank you anyway :hi:

13. samo's beekeeping

thank you my friend. for your wellcome and for reading Aristotle!!! :drinks: :drinks: