Hello from Kansas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Fuzzystuff, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Hello I am a hobbyist in Wichita, KS with 3 KTBH and am in the process of doing a trap out on a tree to pick up a 4th or more. I always wanted to keep bees, but never knew where to begin. I just started reading and learning from others over the winter and took the plunge and ordered a box of bees. I then quickly found a local BK less then 3 miles from me to help hive 2 more KTBH's. So far everything has been fun and frustrating. I should have introduced myself sooner, so forgive me.

My 8 yr old daughter wants to know when she gets to suit up and help. She has no fear of the bees which is good. We will see; for now let’s just get everything moving in the right direction get a little honey for myself and make sure I can help my hives make it through this winter.

I have always been a big garden person and believe in stainable living. Nothing is better then your own stuff.

Jeff

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome to the forum.

Little Man on this forum got his first hive when "I think" he was 9. Get her suited up and let her go out with you. Then build her a hive this winter and let her paint pictures on it.

Like this, maybe......

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=492

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Fuzzystuff and welcome to the forum.

I had my first hives when I was 8, the hook was set for life. I could watch the bees for hours on end.
    There a suits made for the younger beeks, SgtMaj has a son that he suits up and he is 4 or 5.

Take Iddee's advice and let her make up her own hive this winter, it will also let her learn the hive parts and pieces plus a great Daddy/Daughter activity that she will always remember.

Good luck with your bees!!

G3

4. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Thanks G3,

I asked her yesterday as we were checking on a hive and she said she wants to build a hive this winter and paint it white with purple. She also wants a full body suit. Then her younger sister said she wants to paint it white and black and call it her honey cow. She must have been listening to me read about different names for TBH's.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hi Fuzzystuff, glad you stopped in! My kids started with their bees 3 years ago and I really wish I had given them the opportunity to get started a lot younger than I did! Go ahead and get your girl started, it will be a bonding experience like nothing else in the world!!!! :thumbsup:

My kids are 17 (Wally's Baby Beek on here), 15 (XLB), and barely 14 (Little Man) now.... they were 14, 12 and not quite 11 when we got bees. It has been an incredible experience for each of us individually and together as we learned about the bees and each other. They have all decided that they want this to remain a family activity and hope to turn their beekeeping endeavor into a family business someday.

Enjoy the forum, welcome aboard. :wave:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard...

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

hey fuzzybee welcome to the forum. Im right in your back yard down in oxford. I work in wichita if you need a hand or just want to talk bees hit me up

8. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Great to know. How many hives do you run? I have a lot to learn and would be glad to talk bees with you some time.

9. XLB

XLB New Member

hi and welcome to the forum... way late. :D

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Well I have had as many as 70 and right know im between 30 and 40 wanting to go into winter with 50 or more including nucs . your welcome to come down any time. we do have a bee club in this area but it only meets twice a year and there fall meeting usually falls on the kshpa meeting. I would recomend joining the khpa there meetings are a wealth of info they bring in speakers from all over the country.