Hello from Louisiana!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by A.Friloux, Mar 9, 2012.

1. A.Friloux

A.Friloux New Member

Good afternoon all!

My family and I are getting started in our first beekeeping adventure, and we're all really excited. I'd love to talk with you all to find out more and get a good foothold on what I'm supposed to be doing.

Our Current Situation:

*Beesuits - We have two, and need to order about 3 more
    *Beehives - We have built about 20 and purchased some second hand hives that we're in the process of cleaning

Our first bees should be here within a month, and we're going to see about obtaining a few hives that have infested other areas.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

First off, Welcome to the forum! There are alot of friendly folks here willing to help you with your "obsession", if its not yet-hold tight! :thumbsup:

I would suggest finding you a local bee club, there is alot to learn and nothing like a mentor to help you out. Most keeps are willing.... The web is loaded with places to purchase your hardware and gear some better than others based on your location. Be careful with used equipment/hives you can bring negatives to a positive bee yard. Again, Welcome!

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Why so many bee suits? the whole family in an beekeeping?

Sounds like you have plenty of boxes, do you have tops, bottoms, frames and foundation for them?

How about a smoker and hive tool?

If packages do you have a feeder?

Sounds like you would benefit greatly by joining a club and finding a mentor that lived close by.

Keep asking questions we will have many answers.

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

[​IMG]

Sounds like you're well on your way getting started:thumbsup:

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome to the forum. you've found the right place to learn about your new passion (at least it is with me). There are a bunch of friendly, knowledgable folks here who are more than willing to share.

Where in The Sportsmans Paradise are you? I'm down there every week-delivering loads to Mandeville, Harahan, and Houma, then crossing over to finish up in Beaumont, TX.

I'm starting my second year as a beek, and have learned much here.

Again, Welcome.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Glad you found us. We are a family friendly beekeeping forum so it seems like a perfect fit! :thumbsup:
    You have access to some pretty good bee mined folks here who will be only too willing to help you out with advice and encouragment. :grin:

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome, you've come to the right place :smile:

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome AF, just make sure that all 5 of the curious bee suit owners don't open hives without others knowing about it.
    Do it together, so bees are not exposed to too much stress. Very important. Good luck.:thumbsup:

9. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Welcome! You picked the right forum!

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard...

11. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Welcome to the best forum on the net! There is a lot to learn from this site. Hope you enjoy it!

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greetings A.F.
    It sounds like a family of five has joined a family of over 1,500. We welcome you with open arms. May your interest in bees bring you many sweet rewards.
    Suggestion--when you buy your new bee suits, they needn't be complete sets. A top, with a protective veil is enough. For the bottoms, a good pair of jeans is adequate. Tuck the top into your jeans, put on your belt and you have saved yourself a chunk of money. As to protecting your feet and legs, you can tuck your jeans into a pair of boots and you're ready to go.
    When you reach Iddee's level of expertise, you'll do away with most, if not all protective gear.

13. labeekeeper

labeekeeper New Member

Welcome to the forum A. Friloux( family.)
    Stay close to this forum and you can learn a lot (sometimes more than you need) :lol: of info from some friendly folks all over . I am located in Shreveport so if you ever need anything from up this way let me know and we will see what we can do. Don't know exactly how far away you are, I think you are east of Shreveport, but if you are not a member of a club we have a good one here, the ARKLATEX bee club.Let me know if you need more info. Once again WELCOME

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome to the forum, are you in AHB country? if so be careful with those bees that have infested your area. Jack

15. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome AF! One word of warning/caution - do not start too big too quick. You may become overwhelmed learning as you are also growing huge quickly, with a greater initial expense than if you started just a little slower. May I suggest 5 hives this Spring. If you are still enthusiastic start another 5 in September. If you are still eager start the other 10 next Spring. Best wishes!

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Americasbeekeeper Gary gave you a valuable piece of advice.:thumbsup:
    It's better to build up slowly.
    Starting too big prepares the ground for big mistakes. :dash1:
    With experience under your belts increase will come naturally.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a big HOWDY from your neighbor over here in central Texas.

unrecognized by lots of folks a business or organization can grow too slow or too fast. each of these paths reflects their own symptoms but both lead to the same place... the demise of the undertaking itself. a good number of business enterprises actually fail from growing too fast.

ps... in a prior life I kept bees in a couple of locations in Louisiana, but primarily in the northern part of El-lay.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012