Hello from MN

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by buckethat, Jan 26, 2012.

1. buckethat

buckethat New Member

Just joined the other day and been looking around the forums a lot. Been thinking about getting into beekeeping for almost a year now just cant find anywhere to put the hives. The wife just wont let me put them in my yard, so tried my parents in a small town 40 mins north of me. Dad is worried that he will have to take care of them. I wish someone would just let me try this new hobby i would like to take up. But this is not your problem, just glad to be a member and get all the info.
    Sam

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome Sam :hi:

A lot of folks have the same problem with a place to locate their hives. Is your wife at all interested in beekeeping? If you can get her hooked too, the only problem you'll have is keeping up with her. :lol:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:hi: :yahoo:

Welcome aboard. Glad you found us. Try putting up adds on bulletin boards and stuff, I bet you will hear from some folks that would love to have a hive for their garden. I get approached quite a bit about putting a hive here or there. 40 minutes is too far away anyway, you want 'em where you can get to 'em often, especially when you're first starting out, so much to see and take in.
    As far as problems, that's what we're here for, to try and help find solutions to 'em. I am sure other will have ideas to throw out there to help get you going. And we are glad you are a member here. :thumbsup:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Wives always like the lesser of two evils. Visit a few pet shops. Take her into a few. Act very interested in the snakes. Talk about getting one. It won't be long until she decides bees would be much better.

Welcome to the forum.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If there are any farms near you drop in and see if they will let you set up a couple of "pollinating" hives for free. As already said the closer the better, being a beginner you will want to be in them often (sometimes too often). You can learn much by just watching the landing board for awhile.

Welcome to the forum and hope to see you around! :hi:

6. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Welcome aboard!!! 40 miles away? You're gonna burn A LOT of gas for a few weeks until you talk her into moving your girls home. Careful here, this bug is VERY contagious!

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Welcome,

Do you guys grow a garden in spring, educate her how better the fruit / veg will be.

Also find a local beekeeper, and visit with her to show how close you can get without issue. Even better if he/she has a feeder out , and you can literally put your hands into the group of bees without issue as they have no protection needs at a feeder......
    People have an unrealistic fear through lack of education.

My neighbors were apprehensive and then we found a swarm close by, not from my hive but they came along while we caught it ( Iddee and Jacobs) and they all saw how calm the bees can be.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Zulu said: "and then we found a swarm close by, not from my hive"

;) Yeah, yeah, the close ones are never from my hives either! ;) :lol: :mrgreen:

9. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome Sam :wave:
    Be careful with remote yards. It's a lot of money
    I have apiaries 100 and 90 miles from downtown Toronto where I live, and starting third in the spring 80 miles away. (all on the same route)
    I am self employed, so I have a flexible working hours, and my gas expenses are business related. :lol: :lol:
    Find location close to home, in case Iddee's advice doesn't work. Good luck.

10. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yeah yeah , I only had two nucs back then, honest !! :D

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

first off a big welcome from Texas.

why not... contact a local farmer's market and see if one of those folks doesn't have some space for a hive.... or perhaps a community garden... put a small add down on the door of the local feed store or feed cooperative. I am seeing hives show up in all kinds of places and certainly someone must attend to these hives???

13. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Hello and welcome Sam :wave:

14. the kid

the kid New Member

Guess I;m one of the lucky ones ,, they all knew I wanted hives . one day I was told by the kids ,grand kids and wife , that I was getting hives :eek: :Dancing: :thumbsup: :lol: .. they all help if I ask... Is there some one that your wife does not want to come to your house ??? we tell my wife's sister that we have a hive on ether side of the front and back doors . she will not come here until we get rid of the hives ,,, yea like a fat chance that will ever happen .. we do have the hives 20 feet from the house ,, we have 3 acres.but we all want them close to the house ... the grand kids were from 2 years to 15 , when the hives came , even the 2 year old helped .. 3 years ago we took 2 frames of bees to our son ,, my wife held the frames ( in her bare hands , no nuc box , no gloves ) in the car ,, no stings .. you do want the hive close ,so you can mess with them often ,, don't worry you will have the obsession ,, I mean like beekeeping within a few weeks of getting hives .. Good luck with getting the wife talked into having them at the house ..

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Off topic, but.... Hey, Kid, glad to see you back. You were missed.

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum Sam. you couldnt have found a better place to hang out and talk bees. Looking for a place may be easier than you think. Take a drive in the country this spring looking for a place that has potential of producing a honey crop. Then start knocking on farmers doors. I have never been turned down. especially if you visit with them awhile then bribe them with the offer of honey from the hive :thumbsup:

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome Sam, i would have ask my wife what breed of bees should we get for our hobby? If she stands in one place and looks up to the sky, starts whisling, and tapping her foot, you know you have a chance to bargin. But if she come at you with a broom. Game over. :mrgreen: Jack