Hello from Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Berniecal, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Berniecal

Berniecal New Member

Oh Boy, I had 3hrs sleep last night and am now the proud minder of 2 active hives which I'll be getting to know better in the coming weeks. I bought 2 of these
    http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-pets-livesto ... Z287984141
    and collected from the Halifax area at 3am, and had them in place just as daybreak was appearing at about 5:30. Now at 1:30pm they're bustling like the subway at rushhour!
    They spent about 7hrs last night in open trailers, with temperatures around 50F (11C) and rain and mist most of the way. The first 5hrs they travelled with no bottom screen, but as a newbee I chickened out carrying them like that and the seller put on screens. I got them in place, ripped off the screens and ran for my life, but I needn't have bothered, as they were too shaken up to worry about me (some fairly potholed roads around here :D )
    Thanks to PerryBee for advice and guidance during this exciting stage. It's nice to have a lifeguard handy when you jump in the deep end!
    The seller advised to feed syrup so the plastic covers were our attempt to keep the rain off. The bees took one look, ignored them completely, and headed off for the other attractions in the area.
    Bernie
    [attachment=0:3nr4nyo5]P1020089 (Large).JPG[/attachment:3nr4nyo5]

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looking good and welcome to the forum :wave:

You know the bug has bitten you when you loose sleep over a box of bugs!! :lol: :lol:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Bernie, them's a couple of decent hives you have there, congratulations! (hope blue is your favourite colour ;) )
    If ever you have a question or need help, this is the place to come to. (and don't hesitate to give me a call if you need to as well)
    Perry

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

looks like someone has the makings of a colorful beekeeper.

and welcome.

5. divkabee

divkabee New Member

Welcome, Berniecal. What a brave and adventuresome soul you are. Wishing you lots of fun with your new bees.

P.S. I like the blue color, too.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

[​IMG] to the forum Berniecal.

7. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

WELCOME !!!...I have some blue pieces, too. Several shades. I have many colors...Glad to have you join up.
    LtlWilli