Hello from Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BuddhaBee, Dec 28, 2011.

1. BuddhaBee

BuddhaBee New Member

Hi, from historic Germantown in Philadelphia, PA. I'm a new beekeeper, although I spent two years researching beekeeping, and took a 8 month long course before actually setting up a hive. I'm very excited to join this forum.

In Germantown, there is a 55 acre public green space, the Awbury Arboretum, and it's never been sprayed with pesticides. Ironically, it's a former Quaker summer retreat of wealthy families seeking to escape Yellow Fever which ravaged Philadelphia in the mid-to-late 1700s, a disease carried by mosquitoes. This coming year, there will be a three hive community apiary at this arboretum. I started the program, mostly to educate inner city kids about the value of the hone bee, and to create a great community resource for urban beekeepers in Philadelphia.

So...this is becoming a big part of my life. After serious misgivings about whether I could actual handle hive, bees, equipment, and become educated enough to solve in the moment challenges, I am thoroughly enjoying the journey. My girls are Russians, they replaced their package queen in October, and finally began putting up some honey stores for the winter. The weather here has been exceedingly mild after a record-breaking rainy August. I'm using biodynamic methods, and look forward to splitting this colony next spring. Lots to learn!

Here's a link to the apiary web site, in case anyone out there knows someone in NW Philadelphia who can't wait to get started keeping bees. http://philadelphiacommunityapiary.com/about/

Anaiis Salles, BuddhaBee
    www.beegreenphilly.com
    h

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello BuddhaBee:
    :hi:
    Glad you found our forum. You will find that it is an intimate place, to learn, ask questions, and contribute when you can. Answers are usually given in a timely manner.
    Beekeeping and fun are two hot topics here!
    Welcome. :thumbsup:

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Welcome to the forum BuddhaBee :hi: .I've been at it about 9 months myself,and the folks here have been great helping me get started.

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

Hi BuddhaBee,
    I can see you thoroughly prepared yourself for this highly addictive art of beekeeping. :D
    Lots of nice people around here willing to share their knowledge and experience.
    Welcome

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome Anaiis Salles! It is a fine endeavor you have started.

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Nice to see another Pa. beekeeper.

Welcome to the forum.

7. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get information, make new friends and learn a thing or two about beekeeping.

8. herblover

herblover New Member

The more bees in Pa the merrier! You have found the right place for help and support of this admirable endeavor. You are never alone with these folks and the wealth of knowlege they offer is valuable. Welcome to you.