Hello from Rhode Island!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Papakeith, May 3, 2012.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Hi all,

I'm not entirely sure what I want to put down for an introduction. So, more likely than not I'll just ramble for a bit and see where it leads.

First a bit of history about me. I like to say I'm a farmer by birth and a geek by trade. My family has farmed the same land since the very early 1800s. In my lifetime it has been a dairy farm and a produce farm. Currently it's a produce farm with a touch of agri-tainment. The farm doesn't make enough to pay my bills, so I have a full time job working with computer systems. Not the ideal job, but I like the work and it keeps a roof over my head.

The bee story:

My uncle and brother kept bees back in the mid 70s. I "helped". I suppose you could call it helping. I watched and waited for some honey filled comb to be scraped free of the hive and handed to me. That was about the extent of my involvement in beekeeping. My brother's hives perished during one winter I suppose. I never was really sure what happened to my uncle's bees. But at some point in the mid-eighties they disappeared. That was it. I was a kid when they started and a teenager when they stopped. As a kid I didn't pay attention, and as a teen I was too busy to care. Both instances were probably a mistake on my part.

Fast forward to two weeks ago.

My father goes to numerous farmer's markets to sell his products. Since he sells free range eggs at these markets I decided that we needed to get into egg production. I got a number of birds and repopulated an old coop. I liked it, and bought more birds. The beekeeping is an extension of that thread. I figure that if we are going to sell eggs, honey, or any product for that matter, it may as well be produced by us.

Plus, as an added bonus I get to have a new hobby. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a sucker for a new hobby.

With the decision made, I took the plunge and set myself up with two hives. The hives were installed on the 28th of April. So far, so good. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you all along the way.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Keith

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Welcome to the forum Keith! Great place to learn, don't be afraid to ask...:thumbsup:

Kinda funny how most of us work to support our true passions!

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum Keith :hi:

Plenty of good folks here to answer any and all questions, no need to be shy!

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Glad you found us Keith. We love stories and questions keep us sharp so keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

welcome keith, great story and btw, we are all geeks :ugeek: !

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That was a nice story. I'm looking forward to reading the next chapter---how you became a successful beekeeper with so many hives and started a new hobby--carpentry, so you could manufacture your own hives and parts and...and...:roll:
    Welome to the forum Keith.:hi:
    Here we don't only talk bees, we have a good time. Glad you're joining us

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Welcome, nice enough reason to start bees.

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Keith, glad to have you among us.

kebee

9. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I've got lots to learn but at least I know that I have a lot to learn.

efmesh: Being a farm boy, carpentry,and fixing things is almost bred into me. I'm already in the planning stage for making my own hive boxes. It's a sickness :)

10. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome Keith. On the chicken thing I (we, being my wife) tried that for awhile. Free ranging the chickens. Got a lot of eggs until the coyotes discovered they were here. That took care of them within about 9 months (40+ birds). Coyotes don't seem to be attracted to bees though :)

12. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome Keith, and good luck with your new hobby.:thumbsup:

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

14. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Hello and Welcome!

Have you checked out the R.I. Beekeepers? Good place to get connected to local beekeepers and find mentors:
    http://www.ribeekeeper.org/

When you go to a meeting, look up Ed Lafferty - he's a very knowledgeable beekeeper and a nice guy. His mother-in-law is a member of our local club here in Indiana, so we've met a couple times when he's been in town visiting. He always has some great beekeeping tips to offer.

15. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I have checked out RIBA and joined last week. I bought my hive boxes from one member, bought by bees from one of their package runs, and got help installing my packages from another member. All of that, and I haven't even been to a meeting yet! Very helpful people. I hope in due time that I'm able to help them out the same way they have aided me.

I haven't met Ed yet. But, given some more time I'm sure I'll run into him.

Jim, the girls stay in a large fenced field, and are protected in their coop at night. They also have our dogs guarding the yard during the day. That, and my 36 birds aren't as easy of a target as the 800+ of the farm behind me