Hello from Southern Maryland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SoMDBeekeeper, Mar 3, 2011.

1. SoMDBeekeeper

SoMDBeekeeper New Member

Hi Gang,

They know me on the Internet as the Southern Maryland beekeeper I suppose because that's what I went with when I started Podcasting about bees. I'm having fun with it and people seem to be enjoying the info in that format. Its easier to listen than it is to read so folks can enjoy the podcasts while commuting, exercising, doing yard work, whatever..

I've been keeping bees a few years now with langs and a KTBH. I aim to double or triple my hive numbers this year. (2011) My goal is 50-100 total.

I am also starting a local queen breeders organization but that is a year or more out.

Since I'm "chemical treatment-free" the hardest part is finding other local folks on the same page as I am.

My local bee club looks at me like I have horns growing out of my head. They want to keep bees like grand daddy did and they are not open to the changes taking place in the industry and particularly the movement towards sustainable "natural" beekeeping or whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, glad to be here!

Best,
    Craig

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Hi Craig. Its a warm forum around here. Welcome join in and enjoy the banter and bees. Charla

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Glad to see you made it. Hope you like it enough to stay around.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Craig welcome aboard and is Maryland large enough to have a southern and northern part?

a Craig snippit:
    Since I'm "chemical treatment-free" the hardest part is finding other local folks on the same page as I am.

My local bee club looks at me like I have horns growing out of my head. They want to keep bees like grand daddy did and they are not open to the changes taking place in the industry and particularly the movement towards sustainable "natural" beekeeping or whatever you want to call it.

tecumseh:
    sustainable or natural was in fact a bit more like their grand daddy kept bees. there grand daddy's would be shocked at what folks put into hives these days.

if you have been to the most recent North American Beekeeping get together (Galveston, TX) then you would know there are in fact a lot more 'chemical treament free'* folks out there than you might imagine. some folks (two or three clubs) in Northern Virginia had organized a club based queen breeding program.

*sometimes this term can become a bit fuzzy also.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If essential oils are considered chemical free, then i have been chemical free fore three years now. :thumbsup: Jack

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hi there, glad to "meet" ya! :wave:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Craig, glad to see you made it over here. lot of friendly folks here and tons of knowledge.

9. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

Welcome aboard! We won't point and laugh at the apparent horns. Friendly people here with open minds.

JC