Hello from Southern NJ

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Eddy Honey, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Hello,

My name is Ed. I don't have bees or equiptment...yet...lol
    I am researching this as strictly a hobby for myself and my homeshooled son and daughter (ages 7-9). Of course 4 years ago I told my wife I wanted to experiment making bio-diesel and now I produce 250 gallons a month and fuel 3 trucks and 3 home heating furnaces lol. Some hobby!

Anyway so far I'm a bit overwhelmed in my research. I found a web-site in PA that has what appeared to be a nice 8 frame starter kit. Do you think this is a good way to get my feet wet or sticky in this case?

We have 30 acres, mostly forest. There is farmland on all sides of my property. This year the farmer is putting in tomatoes. Don't think I've tasted tomato honey. Is it too late to start this endeavor this year?

Thanks for any comments,
    Ed

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Eight frame is getting to be more popular each year. You are in an area of many good beekeepers. Tomato honey goes right along with rooster eggs. It just don't happen. Tomato is one of the few veggies bees don't work.

As for bees this year, you can contact forum member Bjornbee at http://www.bjornapiaries.com. He can either supply you with bees, or tell you where you can get them if he is sold out.

Welcome to the forum. I think you will enjoy the folks here. They are friendly and know their A BEE C's quite well.
    Be sure to check out the kid's forum. There is some good info there for your son and daughter.

PS. It is a family friendly forum, although the humor forum is PG-13.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi DUO_CORE

Welcome. This is a great forum for you and your kids (I've got a 9 yr old son).
    Careful, if you have an addictive personality you have just stumbled onto one wicked "hobby" :mrgreen:

Off Topic:
    Do you homeschool or does your wife? Only reason I ask is the public system here is deteriorating. They're closing all the community schools and are busing kids farther and farther into huge box store type places. If Independant schools wern't so expensive I would have my son in one (don't know if I could homeschool, probably be the death of me). :rules:

Perry

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello DUO_CORE and welcome to the forum, it is never too late to jump into bees. I agree with Perry if you have an addictive nature......look out (and be glad you live on 30 acres, you may need it).

What ever you have questions about, this is a great place to find answers!!

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thank you all for the nice welcome! So far I learned that bees don't like tomatoes lol. Here is the kit I am thinking of purchasing. http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/8- ... tinfo/252/ we'll see

I have a client (We own and operate chimney sweep/service co.) that is a beekeeper and lives just 3 or 4 miles from me so I'll be giving him a call for some advice.

PerryBee, my wife does the majority of the homeschooling but I step in from time to time as a "motivational" speaker ;) I also get to do cool projects with them when I'm back from work.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Duo_core,welcome to our little corner of the world.I know about the home school thing, public school worked on my head ,mom and dad worked on my lower end, which made me a well balanced man. :lol: Jack

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome aboard hope you check in often and become an active part of the most user friendly bunch of people on the world wide web when it comes to bee forums

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard.

personally I think starter kits are a significant waste of money (typically selling you stuff you either don't need or will not use). buy what you want in the volume you desire to start with and this strategy should save you significant $. join a local club... this also can save you significant quantities of $ and should expose you to a lot of local information (like the net some information will be good and some not so good).

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hi there, good to 'e' ya! I hope you enjoy the forum, dive on in with whatever questions you have.

Our family homeschools too and I wouldn't have it any other way. Beekeeping has been a wonderful addition to our homeschooling days. It is thoroughly addictive, be prepared to see your kids bloom in totally new ways ;)

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I wanted to revisit my first thread here and look back.

I now have 2 growing hives. You folks were right in that it is very addictive. I want more hives and am looking forward to the time when I can do my own split. I want to purchase more equiptment to be ready for when the time is right.

Getting stung is no big deal but we do keep epi-pens on hand.

Don't wear a flourecsant yellow t-shirt to observe the hive or else you will be "observed"

The starter kit from Brushy Mountain is great. We've used everything it came with and have purchased more. I would recommend it. The only thing is I would recommend a full bee suit for beginners. My wife and I like the confidence it brings and can work the hives slowly and efficiently. We tried it with just the veil and gloves. (See "First painful sting")

And lastly, thank you all for the kind words, advice, and encouragement.
    I hope I can offer the same to a new beek one day.

:thumbsup:
    Ed

11. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Glad you're enjoying it. :thumbsup: I had an acquaintance who always said, "If you don't enjoy what you're doing, do somethig else!"

The nice thing with bees is that you shut out the rest of the world...they demand your attention. With gardening, woodworking, golf you can think about other things in your life; not when your working the bees.

Enjoy the journey.

Walt