hello from Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by divkabee, Jun 3, 2011.

1. divkabee

divkabee New Member

:wave:
    I’m in my 2nd year of beeking. My introduction to beekeeping began with a pressing need to get a colony of bees out of a wall of our house. The bees had been there for 3 years, and having been turned down by 2 beekeepers, I took on the task of doing a trapout myself. I got a 3-hour lesson from a friendly beekeeper (too far for him to do the trapout) on handling bees and learning what the hive was all about. Then I found Iddee on this forum and he coached me through an 8-week trapout, for which I will be eternally grateful. The trapout was both an exhilarating and terrifying experience (being envelopped in a cloud of VERY angry bees when the hive was taken down), but it gave me a sense of calmness to go forward, knowing I’d been through the worst of it. I now have 4 hives.

2. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Howdy and welcome to the forum divkabee,you had a great coach for sure :thumbsup: ,and you have some great folks out your way when you need help and advice for what's going on in your neck of the woods.Don't forget to stop in chat and say hi now and then when you visit. :D

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Divkabee and welcome to the forum :wave:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Divkabee:
    I did my first cut-out based on Iddee's teachings in the swarm/trapout/cutout thread as well.
    You have found a great resource here (and the friendliest one as well).
    Welcome!

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

howdy neighbor (as a reference to anyone not from Texas someone can reside 4 hours away and still be your neighbor).

and as is tecumseh style a question..
    so why was their such a pressing need (I seem to hear this quite a lot) for the bees to be evicted from their prior home?

6. divkabee

divkabee New Member

Thanks for all the welcomes. I've been following the forum this past year and learned a lot about bees (and beekeepers) to go along with my on the job training ;)

Tec - I think we're less than 2 hours distant, so we can be classified as "close" or "next-door" neighbors. That "pressing" factor was me. I like bees, but not in my house. They were also situated where people would cross their bee-line several times a day. Sometimes they were testy. I also didn't want to have any visitor who might be hyper-sensitive to bee stings have a chance encounter.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am just a bit south of College Station.

Yep sometimes they are just in the wrong spot.

My wife like snakes (and all kinds of other wild stuff) but I don't tolerate them at my front door.

8. divkabee

divkabee New Member

Tec,

I'm near Weimar so you're just up the road.

My husband's more tolerant of snakes than me. I draw the (snake)line at the threshold of any place meant for humans....houses, pump houses, porches, picnic tables. Copperheads are most common...pretty to look at, but only on their side of the fence.

I'm trying out a package of bees and a queen from BeeWeaver this year. Doing "ok" but with the drought all my hives are not growing much. Been giving all 4 sugar water for a month+ (for the BW - since installation).

9. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

Hi divkabee, and WELCOME from Canton. We are having a drought here as well. I find myself looking for bargains on sugar. You'll like it here.These are good folks.
    LtlWilli

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

divkabee writes:
    I'm trying out a package of bees and a queen from BeeWeaver this year.

tecumseh:
    well I may have had some small part in putting your package together. the lack of rain last fall and this winter certainly are a large concern for me. toting syrup to 200+ hives is certainly a non glamorous undertaking... not that glamor was one of the job's selling points anyway.

at the end of the day we rear bees this year for their possibilities next year. hopefully we will get some acceptable summer rains and a bit of fall flow to get us at least partially thru the fall and early winter.

good luck....

11. divkabee

divkabee New Member

LtlWilli - Thanks for the welcome. I thought Canton was at least in the path of some rain.

Tec - Wouldn't surprise me if your fingerprints were on my BeeWeaver bees, being where you are. Exactly how does one distribute syrup to so many hives?

12. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

Our rain is spotty at best and at the wrong time. Things will change in time, I know. I just need to be patient and do what I can in the meantime.
    LtlWilli

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

divkabee writes:
    Exactly how does one distribute syrup to so many hives?

tecumseh:
    I make up syrup in 9 to 10 gallon quantities and feed using various devices (frame feeders, freezer bags and modified tops that take a quart of syrup). It is pretty much all poured out of a plastic 5 gallon container. Getting the syrup ready is really the large time investment for me... pouring it up really doesn't take too long.

folks like the Weaver may use must the same devices to get feed into a hive but most buy the syrup in a semi truck load quantity (I would guess about 5000 gallon at a pop).

14. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

5000?...Wow...and I thought I had it bad. I'm considering patties very soon. Good girls deserve good eats.
    LtlWilli

15. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member